Fellow Profile: Majida Halaweh, JIF '14

Hi everyone! My name is Majida Halaweh (Mag-i-duh Huh-la-way).  I am a senior at Benzie Central High School in Benzonia, Michigan.  The Joyce Ivy Foundation has done so much for me and I am so excited to be able to give back through the position of JIF Fellow.  My foundation pre-college adventure took place at Johns Hopkins University in the summer of 2014.  I attended a 5-week academic program where I took an intro course about physics and philosophy and a combination social inequality in literature and creative writing class.

At this point, I could list the countless activities I’m involved in or I could tell you the fun, vaguely juicy details about what make me, me.  I enjoy drinking tea, eating frozen mangos and long bike rides in the crisp fall air.  I don’t enjoy breaking my bones at the beginning of cross country season, playing soccer while it’s snowing in May and I don’t like to eat any types of meat (that means you, bacon).  I’ve been actively involved in Key Club since my freshman year and it has taught me to love service and helping others whenever and wherever I can.  My dearest companion is Rico, my family’s slightly mentally challenged runt of a cat.  I travelled to Spain with my sister the summer before my junior year and it made me fall in love with learning about other cultures and travelling!  I plan to go to college though I am not completely certain where I’m going yet.  I want to major in physics but I am also very interested in philosophy and creative writing too.  Maybe I’ll be the next Carl Sagan…I can only dream.

The Joyce Ivy Foundation has allowed me to have an incredible experience, which taught me about myself and the value and importance of human relationships whether they are fleeting or everlasting.  The program showed me that I will not be around the same group of people forever but I will find a home wherever I go in the world.  Simply learning that one thing makes me forever indebted to this incredible foundation and I am absolutely ecstatic to be able to show my appreciation and gratitude through the position of Fellow.  

Comments