Fellow Friday: Krishaun Burns

Fellow Friday: Krishaun Burns, JIF '14




Hometown: Farmington Hills, Michigan
High School: Renaissance High School
College: NA
Major: Graphic Design/Web Design


Why did you decide to become a Fellow?

I decided to become a Joyce Ivy Fellow because I wanted to help make a difference in the following year's (2015) Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars' experience. Writing the essays required, getting required forms filled out, submitting the application in itself, and waiting to find out if I’d been accepted was tiring! I didn't really know about the Joyce Ivy blog then, but once I had the opportunity to become a Fellow and found out, I wanted to be a part of the team because I knew it would have been very helpful for me during the application process. Also, I wanted the chance to help the Gala and other events run smoothly when the time arrives because they were amazing events (and memories!) for me.

What is your favorite memory from your summer experience?

My favorite memory -- or should I rather say memories -- is hands down going to be the Target and Wal-Mart trips that my new friends and I embarked on almost every weekend! It may seem like a minuscule activity, but it really allowed for great laughs and funny stories to tell now (don't get me started about Utah or some lady trying to buy our new pillows).

Why does the Joyce Ivy Foundation rock?

Joyce Ivy Foundation is pretty AMAZING because of the fact that they believe in us young women. They believe in us enough to send us to Ivy League universities for a summer. They believe in us enough to help us get to the places we want and need to be. 

How did JIF affect where you are today?

Joyce Ivy Foundation has allowed me to mature, feel more confident in myself and my capabilities, and meet some amazing people who have influenced my life. Being forced to go to a university and essentially be treated like an undergraduate student, I kind of had to mature [wayyyy] up because I didn't have my parents or grandparents or siblings to lean back on as I do back at home. I mean, I had and always have had their support, but it was pretty intangible during that summer; I was alone in a new place that I've never been before! I had to know bus schedules and catch buses; I had to find my way around Stanford's humongous campus; I had to schedule my time to study, socialize, and relax; I, overall, had to just be a responsible young adult. (Note: I felt that I was already pretty responsible, but being thrown out of my comfort zone like that was pretty shocking!)

However, that experience that JIF allowed me to have helped me feel more confident in myself, my skills, my academics, and my overall capabilities. No longer could I take forever to make a decision. No longer could I simple be in my comfort zone. I had to smile, make new friends, do my college level work, and keep on rolling.

And lastly, the friends - oh, the friends. Without Joyce Ivy, I never would have meet the amazing influences in my life today. I still can see some traits that I've picked up from people in myself (haha). I still heed the advice that I was given by some of the high school students, undergraduates, and graduate students that I met. I still talk to some of my new friends (from all over the world, mind you). Without Joyce Ivy, none of this would have been possible. 


Do you have a question for Krishaun?  Email her at burns.krishaun@gmail.com

Comments