Become a Global Citizen: Study Abroad in High School

written by Krishaun Burns 

This was [almost] everybody from my OSK in Schwabmünchen, Bayern. This photo is comprised of both exchange students + host-families.

Studying abroad is something that a lot of people take advantage of in university. It’s becoming more and more popular to do so. Not only do you reap benefits that will help you in your personal life, you will also experience things that will help you further your academic and/or professional life. But why not experience these things earlier than college? Who says that you have to wait for university to partake in study abroad? No one. Absolutely no one. But not many people recognize that the opportunity is available as soon as you are 14 [traditionally].

I am currently studying abroad in Germany. It is also the first semester of my senior year in high school. To be completely honest, I do not really know why I decided to study abroad. It’s really an ambiguous question. There are many reasons you could choose from. For some people, the answer is really simple, and they just know. I, on the other hand, usually stutter about until I conclude with, “Yeah, I don’t really know. The opportunity presented itself, and I just went for it.” The answer may not be the “right” one, but it’s what I have. I can say that attending Stanford University’s Pre-College Program (JIF ’14) helped me feel comfortable saying yes. It was the first time that I actually got out of my comfort zone. It taught me that I can do well when really challenged academically (which is important when studying abroad [depending on which program you attend] because learning a new language and taking normal classes is extremely difficult). I was prepared for meeting meet new people, although meeting people who speak a completely different language is a different feat all in itself. I also learned from Stanford that I was okay with not having the tangible comfort of my family back home. I am studying abroad for five months, and I have had to be really independent.

As I think about my exchange semester (Austachsemester), I cannot help but smile. While learning the language is difficult [and a reason that I'm forgetting my English ;)], I am really proud of myself for being this focused and able to go from knowing literally nothing to being able to hold a conversation about politics and education. While the USA is great, being able to learn about a new culture and become completely immersed in it has been unbelievably great. While I enjoy my favorite food back in Michigan, being able to try new foods has been indescribable. (Seriously, guys, Döner is the best and most unhealthy food you can ever eat.) But my favorite part about studying abroad has been meeting so many people from all over the world and not just Germany. You will make friends that you never imagined having. You will learn about many different cultures in one similar place. I now know people from Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Romania, Chile, Argentina, Germany, Australia, China, South Africa, and South Korea - and that is only from this program. I think that is one of the things best things you can experience while studying abroad.

I was featured in the Märker Zeitung when I came to my permanent family'.
As far as study abroad options go, you have a few. There will be more as you get older (internships, teaching, etc), but the options as a high school student is nonetheless amazing. There is more than academic study abroad. When I originally applied to study abroad, I wanted to do it over the summer and for either cultural immersion in Spain, volunteering in Italy, or cultural immersion in Sweden.
  1. Academic Semester and Year Programs
  2. Summer Programs
  3. Volunteer Programs
  4. Intensive Language Programs

There is also a variety of programs out there that you can choose from. You have to find the one that best suits you. I am studying abroad through YFU (the oldest study abroad program), but I also applied and was accepted to CIEE.
  1. Youth for Understanding (YFU)
  2. CIEE
  3. SPI Study Abroad
  4. EDU-Culture Immersion
  5. School Year Abroad (SYA)
  6. AFS
These programs are very expensive; however, it is still possible to attend! Without a scholarship, I never would have been able to come to Germany. I was awarded the Stiftung Scholarship, which was technically only supposed to be partial, but ended up being full for me. Applying as early as possible to both the program and scholarships will probably give you a better chance at getting awarded one. It’s okay if you don’t do it until the twelfth hour, though, which is what I did because I was not considering Germany at first. Also, there is seemingly an infinite amount of scholarships for Germany and China, so if you want one for another country, you should definitely apply earlier because those typically do not have as many available.

This was in Hamburg. We were leaving our re-entry orientation. From the left to right: Jenny (SüdAfrika), Gabriel (Chile), me (Amerika), and Conrado (Brasilien). 

If you would like to read about some things that I have been involved in while abroad, I have a study abroad blog [that I have been neglecting lately, ahah]: Sempiternal Wanderer. If you want to see photos that I've taken, here. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at burns.krishaun@gmail.com.

Comments