Fellow Friday: Amber Heard, JIF '14


Hometown: Fairfield, Ohio
High School: Fairfield Senior High School
College: Ohio State University
Major: Human Resources and Psychology with a minor in Spanish
Summer Program: Harvard Secondary School Program
Class: Intro to Biomedical Ethics and Law & Psychology


Why did you choose your summer program?

The reason I chose to attend Harvard during the summer was to experience what it was like to be a student at the top university in America.

What is your favorite memory from your summer program?

My favorite memory from Harvard was simply hanging out with my new international friends. I love and miss them so much! They were loads of fun. On the last day of the program, everyone in my hall decided to sleep over in our dorm room. We planned to pull an all-nighter then take a picture by the bridge near Boston at around 6 a.m. However, the plan slightly failed due to the fact that half of us were knocked out before 3a.m. That day was simultaneously happy and sad due to the fact that we exchanged out last goodbyes and hugs.

Why did you decide to become a Fellow?

I decided to become a Fellow after realizing that I wanted to encourage other high school girls to pursue opportunities to study at prestigious universities such as Harvard. Not many high school girls realize that they are capable of achieving a wide range of possibilities

What do you like best about JIF?

I love the fact that the Joyce Ivy Foundation's mission is to encourage young women in the Midwest to get out of their comfort zone and reach for the stars.

How did JIF affect who/where you are today?

Joyce Ivy helped me to realize my potential as a young woman and scholar. Through my experience, I have felt more confident about college life and my ability to achieve great success. Joyce Ivy has provided me with many opportunities to excel and I thank them for that.

If you could give any advice to a potential JIF Scholar about anything regarding this experience, what would you say?

Be open to everything! You are going to meet people from all over the world while being in a completely different environment. Enjoy every minute of it. It is an opportunity to grow!


If you'd like to contact Amber, email her at heardcamber@gmail.com

Comments