Why I Joined A Sorority

By: Abby McCoy


I’m a sorority girl, but I don’t party, and I do well in all my classes. Sorority girls sometimes fall in a stereotype of party girls. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. Since joining Greek life, I have found that these girls are leaders in the community, successful students, and string leaders, and Greek life has helped develop their skills and personalities. However, each sorority does have a different personality, and it is important to keep that in mind when rushing. The sorority I liked before recruitment was not the sorority I joined, and I am so grateful that I found my home with my sorority. Why did I join a sorority? I was skeptical at first, however, as I went through recruitment, I was able to meet so many great girls who genuinely cared about me and my interests.  
  1. Sororities sometimes get a bad rap
When I told my parents I had joined a sorority, they first asked why I would have time to party while attending a top-tier school. The second question they asked me was if I had been hazed. There are strict rules now preventing hazing from happening, and even though there have been instances of it happening in fraternities recently, most colleges have strict rules that prevent hazing and to protect initiates from being abused by the fraternity or sorority. If you are worried about these issues, you can always look to your Greek Life office on campus or look into the behavior of Greek life on campus yourself. There were multiple resources for me to look to, allowing me to educate myself about Greek life on my campus before I joined a sorority.
  1. Formal and Informal recruitment
There are two types of recruitment: informal and formal. At my college, fraternities participate in informal recruitment, which includes attending parties and events hosted by the fraternity, and if both the brothers and the prospective students enjoy spending time together, the fraternity can give out bids. Most sororities, however, recruit during formal recruitment, which is described by girls attending structured parties hosted by different sororities over a period of two weeks, and at the end of this period, bids are handed out. After this formal recruitment period, a few sororities will participate in informal recruitment, but it is not guaranteed that a sorority will participate in both. There are strict rules about girls going through both formal and informal recruitment if they fail to receive a bid at first.  
  1. Leadership opportunities
At my university, most leadership positions are held by members of Greek life. Most sororities and fraternities require a certain number of volunteer hours to retain membership, as well as hosting and requiring members to help host charity events. Greek life is a great way to get involved on campus, as it helps you get introduced to the different organizations and meet notable people on campus. However, being a part of Greek life is not a requirement to be involved on campus, although it does help you meet people and get involved.
  1. Sisterhood
When I joined my sorority, I was almost immediately bombarded with Facebook messages from other sisters wanting to meet and get to know me. I was immediately involved with a group of girls who genuinely cared about me and wanted to help me succeed. There are multiple programs within my sorority to help me succeed, from tutoring services to volunteering options to practice interview sessions. Greek life is set up to help undergraduates grow and develop and become successful leaders.

Joining a sorority is not for everyone, however, I encourage every undergraduate to consider it. Not only is it a great way to meet new people, but it is a way to find your home away from home, and making connections that will last a lifetime. 

Comments