College Spotlight: Haverford College




by Katie Hancock and Brette Stockmaster

Today's College Spotlight post features a college that a JIF alumna is currently attending. The JIF blog​ ​team also releases posts detailing colleges that are summer program partners, colleges that will be attending the Joyce Ivy​ ​College Admissions Symposium (JCAS)​.

Statistics 

Location: Haverford, Pennsylvania (a suburb of Philadelphia)


Acceptance Rate: 21%



Tuition & Fees: $66,490 for tuition, room, and board





Facts 

  1. Haverford has a unique honor code covering everything from the classroom to the dorm room. Students schedule their own final exams, take un-proctored tests, and have weekly meetings held by student to determine how to make the college better.
  2. Haverford boasts the only varsity cricket team in the United States!
  3. Haverford is a member of the Tri-College Consortium, which allows students to register for courses at both Bryn Mawr College and Swarthmore College.
  4. Roughly 99% of all students and 60% of all staff live on-campus. There is themed-housing and suites of singles, doubles, and triples. 
  5. In total, Haverford claims to hold a world record for the number of a cappella groups per capita -- which is so awesome if you love music and singing!

Thoughts from a current student

Name: Brette Stockmaster
Current Year: freshman
Major: Bio/Soc

What is your favorite part about this school? 

Haverford is known for its Honor Code. Before I was immersed into the Haverford culture, I did not understand the immensity of the Honor Code’s impact. It helps to facilitate healthy relationships between students and academics, students and faculty, and students and their peers. Exams are unproctored meaning there is not a professor’s eye looking over one’s shoulder to promote academic honesty. Trust is placed on individuals Additionally, the social scene at Haverford is largely defined by having a space for many groups of individuals to interact and to feel comfortable. I find there to be something liberating about the Honor Code and the community of trust, respect, and concern that it fosters.

What has been your favorite class(es) and why? 

My favorite class so far has been my social theory course. For this class, I sit at a seminar table with a dozen other students who range from being a junior physics major to being a senior philosophy major. This course has pushed me past what I thought my limits were for intellectually maturity as a freshman. I do not receive grades on individual assignments; instead, I receive pages upon pages of comments from my professor for each exam or essay I turn in. In high school, I thought a 4.0 was the only indicator of the mastery of learning, but now I am starting to see my ignorance. Being able to take a small course as a freshman with such an array of students is something I credit to going to a liberal arts school like Haverford.

Why did you choose this college over others? 

Ultimately, I chose this college because I thought it was what was best for my future. Haverford has a mandated senior thesis for graduation and overall produces students ready for graduate schools. I thought that with a small school that takes very little mercy on GPAs that I would be sacrificing some of the excitement of college, but I was wrong. I have found that friendships form over late nights drawing organic molecules and being familiar with people that you see on Saturday nights is refreshing. Football games got replaced with soccer games (and I must say the view is much improved). I do not feel like a number here. If anything, I feel a little too well known. But hey, that means that I always can find a friendly face to eat lunch with our one cafeteria.

What are some tips for students who are applying to this college?

Be yourself! This tip is most likely not what you wanted to read; however, Haverford is such a small place that there is no room for trying to fit a mold. Haverford appreciates the intricacies of your narrative on how you love to knit scarves for your neighbor's dog or if you simply like to play basketball.
On another note, do your research. I did not realize what Haverford was like at all before I applied… don’t be like me.

What are a few things that you think people should know about your college that might be little-known info?

Haverford is only 20-minute train ride takes me into Center City Philadelphia. As I write this, I have a fantastic view of the duck pond out of my 10 feet tall bedroom. The campus is an arboretum, a collection of historic trees. I may be partial, but the 2.2 mile nature trail is beautiful for both walking and running. Both the location and campus itself are my favorite parts of Haverford.


If you have any further questions about Haverford College, feel free to contact Brette Stockmaster at brettesuzanne@gmail.com.

Comments