Symposium Sunday Blog Launch: JCAS Director Introduction












Hello Joyce Ivy Blog Readers!


My name is Nicole Cannizzaro, and I am director of the 2017 Joyce Ivy College Admissions Symposium (JCAS) and a Joyce Ivy Foundation Senior Fellow. You can read more about my background and experience here.

This the official launching of the JCAS blog series that will lead us to the conference on May 5th and 6th at Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Michigan. From now until May 5th, I will be checking in with all of you through a series of “Symposium Sunday” blog posts in preparation for JCAS. Some of the topics will include a preview of workshops and sessions at JCAS, while others will focus on 2017 highlights and important reminders. Also make sure to also visit the blog on Tuesdays for facts about the colleges that will be at JCAS. We’ll also be sharing parent and student perspectives from those who have attended JCAS – and survived the college application process!

In addition to directing JCAS, I am also a full-time graduate student at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, pursuing my Masters of Education in Higher Education. My coursework and experiences have focused especially on working with first-generation and low-income students in a variety of college and university settings. Prior to this year, I taught middle- and high-school Spanish and French in New York City and Bethesda, Maryland. I was also involved with a residential college-access program and worked as a college success coach in a Washington, DC-area community-based organization. As the first in my immediate family to graduate from college, I am a proud and loyal Dartmouth alumna. I can attest to how important it is to know oneself – your strengths, weaknesses, and interests – to effectively navigate the college application process and find your “fit.”

From my personal and professional experiences, I have seen the incredibly transformative powers of education. I am committed to ensuring that students have the resources and support to identify and thrive in a college of their choice. For these reasons, I am thrilled to direct JCAS 2017 and am a firm believer that the information you gather at the conference and the friendships you make will have lasting impacts in your life.

Registration for JCAS will open next week! For more information, visit the JCAS section of the Joyce Ivy site.

Use these resources as you begin or continue your college search process. I look forward to making this journey with you. See you in May!


Cheers,

Nicole

Comments