First-generation college students

Will you be the first in your family to go to or graduate from a four-year college? Have you ever heard the term “first-generation” or “first-gen”? When I was going to college, and throughout much of my Dartmouth experience, I didn’t know this term – and I am first-gen!

First-gen refers to students who are the first in their families to go to college, but the term is actually a bit misleading. In this case, “college” refers to four-year schools—meaning, if your parent(s) went to community college and have an associate’s degree, but you’re going to a four-year college or university, you are considered first-gen. And if your parent(s) went to a four-year college but did not graduate, you will still be considered first-gen because they do not hold a four-year degree. If your sibling(s) went to and graduated from school but these conditions still apply, you are still considered first-gen! Here’s a great site to learn more about what it means to be first-gen through other students’ stories, as well as resources for first-gen students.

Being first in your family to go to and graduate from college is super exciting and you are accomplishing a major feat! You know college will open up many doors and opportunities. Being first-gen can also be hard. When I was applying to college, I relied a lot on my teachers and a college-educated aunt to help me with the college search and application process. My mom was really supportive, but she didn’t know how to navigate the application process (completing a FAFSA was particularly interesting). However, with this support network, I applied to a series of colleges that were really great fits for me academically, socially, and financially. Ultimately, I selected to attend Dartmouth College because I felt like I was at home on the campus and with everyone I met, and because of the schools I applied to Dartmouth offered me the best financial aid package.

Looking back, there are some questions I wish I had asked, and others that I am so grateful for having answers to! If you, too, are first-gen, I encourage you to keep these in your mind and be proactive about investigating the resources at each of the schools you’re looking into. Be thoughtful about:

  • Are there any first-gen specific programs that you can get involved with? Some programs, like Dartmouth’s FYSEP, occur over the summer before you matriculate and continue into the academic year.
  • What opportunities are there to be mentored, either by an upperclassman or a faculty or staff member on campus?
  • Are there ways for you to volunteer with or work in a college access program held on your campus? It’s a great way to learn information you may have missed in your own college search and application process.

JCAS is another great opportunity for you to talk with people—other students, Fellows, and admissions officers—about your experience as a first-gen student. What recommendations do they have for you as you gear up to build your college list? Chances are, they will have some pretty amazing insight that will help a *fabulous* first-gen student like you find a great college home :)

Cheers,
Nicole

Comments