GREETINGS!

Hello!

My name is Carrie Hadler, and I am one of the contributing bloggers to the Joyce Ivy Foundation blog.  I have been on the board of directors since the inception of the Joyce Ivy Foundation in 2005.  Our founder, Mike Pritula, first approached me about joining the board when I was just a sophomore in college!  I grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, graduated from Community High School in 2002, Brown University in 2006, and have worked in charter schools in Detroit and New Orleans, where I currently live.

I have been so lucky to experience the growth of the Joyce Ivy Foundation from our first year (2006) when we had a mere eleven Summer Scholars from one state (Michigan), to this past summer in which we had seventy Summer Scholars from four states!  In 2013, we are expanding to Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota in addition to Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, and Missouri.  I am very much looking forward to seeing the talented and resourceful students that we can bring into the Joyce Ivy fold from all of these states in the coming years. 

I am a voracious online newspaper and article reader, so you can expect to see many "articles of interest" coming from me on this blog, as well as some "behind the scenes" posts about what's going on in the Joyce Ivy world.  I expect that many of our readers in these early days of this blog will be past Summer Scholars, so I am looking forward to giving some of that information to you all, and hearing more from you through the comments and feedback that the blogging format allows.  I know, on some levels, that there doesn't appear to be much action in the Joyce Ivy world besides the months from March to August, when you all are interacting with us and off having your summer experiences on campus, but we've got a lot going on in our off season!  I'll keep our readers in the loop with news and ways to get involved.

With all that said, we are currently gearing up for the 2013 application cycle.  We re-added George Washington to our list of partnership schools for this year, so if you are an interested student, please be sure to take them into consideration when you're researching your list of possible summer programs.  We are also continuing our partnerships with the Barnard, Brown, Cornell, Emory, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New York University, Smith, and Stanford summer programs.  You can find this list with links to supported programs here: http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org/programs/summer-scholars.html

Comments