Grit

Grit is popular again. As any word that returns to common use, it is interpreted in different ways. As a college admissions officer and administrator for almost 30 years, grit is similar to persistence, overcoming a challenge, beating the odds or digging in deep to take a risk. My Midwestern upbringing adds to the interpretation of grit as also demonstrating a strong consistent work ethic with humility.

I thought about grit in late November. An hour on the water of the Chesapeake Bay reminded me of many summers in Northern Michigan on the inland lakes and Lake Michigan. The water was calm on the Severn and South Rivers yet choppier than expected as the boat neared the Bay Bridge. I can be a nervous boat passenger or water skier as I look at the wake and the waves. On this day, my sense of safety was being challenged.  Within five minutes of nervousness, I found grit. I realized these new waves and wake were familiar and the air smelled like the air on the waters of the lakes of my home state of Michigan. I relaxed as the risk became manageable and I found what was familiar, being on the water.

Thinking about colleges as a college applicant or as a high school student feels both exciting and challenging.  Grit might be needed. The thinking process creates internal questions about the level of personal confidence with a new academic challenge, a new community and group of friends, and a new place. Yet a new place also introduces what is familiar. Students who value learning, being involved and making a positive difference are a college community. So relax, the risks are manageable and find what is familiar, a community of engaged people.

Comments