Doing Something You Have Never Done



“If you want something you have never had, you better do something that you have never done.”

 Angie Morgan and Courtney Lynch
co-founders of Lead Star
co-authors of Leading From the Front

I have been thinking about this quote and relating it to the talented young women I meet through the Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars program.  Summer Scholars do something they have “never done” and it inspires each of them. Consider what these alumnae have shared:
“My experience also showed me what I bring to a college campus, and that I have a real, legitimate voice in college settings; I don't need to be afraid of not being ready. It helped me develop my voice as a unique contributor, and it empowered me to keep seeking out amazing opportunities like it. Joyce Ivy made an investment in me. They gave me the opportunity to go to an amazing program that I wouldn't have been able to ever attend otherwise. It was, and will continue to be, a catalyst in my collegiate, academic, extracurricular, and personal life. Joyce Ivy believed in me, and that empowered me to believe in myself.”
– Shoham, Summer Scholar ’12 at Brown University

“Thanks to the Joyce Ivy Foundation, I was given the opportunity to experience the world. My eyes have been opened to all the possibilities that are within my reach, and I realized there are people out there who really do support me and want me to succeed. I was given the chance to leave my small town and open my mind.”
– Hannah, Summer Scholar ’12 at Johns Hopkins University

My Summer College experience really challenged me as a person. I have always been independent, but the reality of being so far from home and away from my family pushed me to take responsibility for myself and learn more about my strengths and weaknesses. Summer College is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Between going to class, exploring campus, and making new friends, the importance of time management stood out as I learned how to find balance. Although I was nervous about venturing into a new environment on my own and facing higher expectations, I gained so much confidence in myself in the process. My goals have expanded and I am considering schools and careers I would have never thought possible.”
– Ronnie, Summer Scholar ’12 at Cornell University

“I had the most amazing time at Brown. My class opened up so many doors for me; I was able to talk to numerous influential people in the science and technology world, and I learned about how to be a leader in a constantly evolving world. Not only did I learn through my class, but I also learned from the people I met. I developed close relationships with people ranging from India to Alaska. I came home from my experience at Brown not only more educated, but also more open-minded and ready for my own college experience to begin.”
– Emily, Summer Scholar ’12 at Brown University

“Because of the Joyce Ivy Foundation, I was able to have an amazing opportunity of being independent in a college setting at some distance from home with students from all over the country. I encourage everyone to support or get involved with the foundation. I’ve recommended this program to my younger friends and I tell them about my wonderful experiences.”
– Annabel, Summer Scholar ’12 at Barnard College

Will you be a Summer Scholar ’13? Do you know a talented female student who should be a Summer Scholar ’13? Apply online. Applications are due March 15.

Comments