My experience

My name is Eboni White and I am currently a senior in high school. Let me start by saying I truly love my school and my hometown in Michigan; that said, I am eager to consider broader horizons for college that will take me to new places.
 
Last year I asked many of the graduating seniors where they aspired to go for college and where they hoped to live. Not a single one of them dreamed of going out of state. Most of my peers are not aware of the numerous opportunities to spend summers on college campuses. They don't imagine options outside of Michigan because they have never been exposed to them. Many in our community – including many of our teachers – grew up nearby, attended our high school, and went to college in-state. We are lucky that Michigan has some great college options, but what about all of the other colleges outside of Michigan?

I wanted to get exposure to life outside of our small hometown, so last summer I attended an academic program at Brown University. It would have been far too expensive for me to attend without the support of the Joyce Ivy Foundation. After being named a Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar, I was able to attend with no cost to my family! I also attended the Joyce Ivy College Admissions Symposium. This conference broke down the application process and helped me formulate a plan to tackle it. After the conference and the environmental program at Brown, I felt confident enough to apply to highly selective institutions, most outside of my home state.

I encourage all my girls out there to really look into what Joyce Ivy can do to help explore opportunities across the country – as well as those that are in your own backyard.

Comments