Meet Dr. Erica Gould, Stanford Director of Honors Program in International Relations


Working with talented colleagues and undergraduates on a college or university campus is a career that many choose to pursue as an opportunity to be engaged with bright students, active research and brilliant colleagues in an enriching environment. Dr. Erica Gould currently serves as the Director of the Honors Program in International Relations at Stanford, one of our summer college partners, where she invests in the life of the university through her active teaching and research combined with supporting undergraduate students’ process of discovery.   Erica and I met when we worked together on a university campus.  I observed her daily interactions with undergraduates as powerful and positive. She is an individual who combines deep intellect with humor, warmth and active listening; she encourages positive life-balance as well as self discovery.

Erica became interested in research during her undergraduate studies at Cornell, also a summer program partner with the Joyce Ivy Foundation. I asked Erica to think about her career path from her undergraduate years to a non-university position and then to a return to university life as a graduate student and faculty member. Her path is of interest as it involves considering thoughtful risks and defining a passion that shapes each of the next career steps. I also asked her to provide advice to our Summer Scholars program alumnae who are at three distinctive decision-making points: creating a college list (high school juniors and rising seniors), planning for freshman year (rising college freshmen) or considering a job opportunity or professional or graduate school (college juniors, seniors and recent graduates). Erica shares her thoughts and her advice.


How did you decide to become a faculty member in your academic discipline?

In some ways, I stumbled into becoming an academic.  As an undergraduate student, I had an amazing experience doing original research for my honors thesis in Government at Cornell University.  This piqued my interest in research and writing.  When I graduated from Cornell, I did not have a clear path.  I worked and travelled in Montana and in Germany that summer after graduation, and then moved back home to look for a job.  I found a very interesting job in New York City working for an organization that served homeless families.  However, I was interested in returning to the active, engaged learning that comes from research and writing, and also to the international realm.  I applied to graduate schools all over the country and matriculated into the PhD program at Stanford the next year.  While at Stanford, I benefited from amazing faculty advisors and conducted research on a question about which I was truly passionate.  I have come to realize that I love university life and the atmosphere of continuous learning that universities encourage.   In my current role (as Director of the Honors Program in International Relations), I am focused on supporting students’ original research and I love it.

What tips would you have for college freshmen as they join a college community?

College is an opportunity.  Take advantage of it as fully as possible.   Take the opportunity to veer off the “track” you may have imagined for yourself in order to take interesting courses in fields outside of your area of concentration.  You will certainly learn a great deal, not only from the course material but also perhaps about yourself and your own goals and aspirations.  You may never again have a chance to take a class on Renaissance Art History or International Economics or Human Genetics.  Seize the opportunity while you can!

When do you know that graduate or professional school is a critical next step?

Many students think that graduate or professional schools are necessary for success.  I disagree.  Many people have successful careers and lives without a graduate degree.  Certain careers require them (lawyers and doctors, for example), but most do not.  Graduate schools are often very costly; students should think clearly about the benefits they will receive from the graduate education versus the costs.   (When I attended graduate school, my program offered a full ride to all students.  Without that, I am not sure if I would have decided to attend.)  Unless you are certain of a career path, I think it is useful for students to work for a few years before attending graduate school.  Many graduate schools appreciate the life/work experience, and it may save you from a costly mistake.


Advice from teachers, guidance counselors, university/college faculty provides valuable perspective. Dr. Gould is able to reflect on her choices as well as opportunities and offer broad suggestions to seek opportunity, take thoughtful risks and try something new.  A clear career path or direction also presents choices that provide new challenges and success. The absence of a clear career path offers creative risk-taking and exploration to learn about new opportunities. The college selection process, the freshman year experience, the career or graduate/professional school decision are opportunities to refine aspirations and define a passion as well as "take the opportunity to veer off the track you may have imagined for yourself."

Comments