2013 Summer Scholars in Action

The Joyce Ivy Foundation 2013 Summer Scholars are participating in their summer pre-college programs throughout June, July and August. We often hear about their experiences during the summer months. Several Summer Scholars wrote to us recently and shared their thoughts.
I just got back from my summer program at Brown, and I wanted to thank you for allowing me to experience this opportunity.  Never would I have imagined to learn so much from my anatomy and physiology class in only 3 weeks or make so many friends from all over the world.  Next week, I am going to start working with a local doctor at the Cleveland Clinic, and I know the material I've learned from my course at Brown will help me out immensely.  -Louisa Liu, Solon High School (OH)
This past week has been more than fun. I didn't think I'd make such great friends. I've had the time of my life here at Hopkins. Without a scholarship from the Joyce Ivy Foundation, I would not have been able to attend a pre-college program this summer.  I am so happy that a foundation like the Joyce Ivy Foundation exists to help girls like me get to a place like Johns Hopkins for the summer.  -Abril Rangel, Omaha South High Magnet School (NE)
I am very grateful to be able to attend Brown's ethical leadership program.  I did not realize that I had such a close connection with the topic until the first day of class when we began going over the topic.  Without the Joyce Ivy Foundation, my summer program choice would have been much more limited and I would not have been able to have a college experience.  My experience at Brown could be described as an educational adventure.  The first day of class was very enjoyable.  While listening to the lectures and discussions, I thought about the methods I could use to apply the knowledge I have gained about ethical leadership back in my school community.  To change up the environment, we were taken to a low ropes course to build teamwork while overcoming challenges.  By the end of the day, everyone had bonded and felt an even deeper appreciation for each other.  I have cherished every day here at Brown and will continue to develop my knowledge in the area of ethical leadership.  -Annie Chen, Cranbrook Schools (MI)
I had such a wonderful time at Johns Hopkins.  I made countless new friends and absolutely enjoyed my course, "The Hospital."  It was fun balancing my time between homework from my challenging class and after-class activities.  When it was time to leave for home, I wished that I had signed up for session two as well.  I sincerely look forward to future opportunities with Johns Hopkins. -Minna Wybrecht, Greenhills School (MI)
This program at Johns Hopkins was definitely more academically rigorous than my high school, but I was up for the challenge.  Assignments were graded more difficultly and the homework took more hours.  Aside from all of the hard work, it was fun and interesting as well. I got to experience once in a lifetime events that the average person would never get to do.  I can't choose my favorite events because there were so many!  My top experiences would have to be working with the DaVinci robot and watching a heart transplant.  Watching the surgeon literally put new life into a man amazed me beyond belief.  The relationships I made with people will definitely last forever.  My roommate was amazing and the girls on my floor added to the fun.  I would like to thank the Joyce Ivy Foundation for this amazing opportunity. It has given me the exposure to make life changing decisions about my college interests, career interest in medicine and friendships. -Caroline Prakel, Versailles High School (OH)
We will highlight additional 2013 Summer Scholars throughout the next few months. Check back to read more about their experiences.

Comments