More News from the 2013 Summer Scholars

The 2013 Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars continue to share their summer pre college program experiences with us.  These Summer Scholars include talented young high school women from the states of Michigan, North Dakota and Minnesota.

I just recently returned from my summer at Brown experience. While at Brown, I learned more independence and time management skills. My class was called "Playing Tricks on the Brain: Perception and Illusions in the Human Visual System." I really enjoyed the material, teacher and classmates. I learned many new valuable concepts regarding the human brain that intrigued and challenged me. While there, I also met other Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Scholars and talked to current Brown students about their college experiences. I had a wonderful time at Brown and I can't thank you enough for the opportunity!
Leslie Hicks JIF '13, Cranbrook Schools (MI)
Mary Vandewiele Leadership Award Recipient

This summer at Barnard was life-changing for me. I loved meeting so many people who think the same way I do and I loved learning from them about how to look at the world from a whole new perspective. I never could have had this incredible experience without the Joyce Ivy Foundation.
Chloe Alberta JIF '13, Portland High School (MI)

I recently returned from my Summer@Brown experience. At Brown, I read a textbook for three hours after taking a three hour course but there was so much more than that! In three short weeks, I was hit with a ton of diversity. Back home, I don't experience much of that.  At Brown, because of the diversity, I learned so much outside of the classroom.  Now I have friends from all over, including California, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio, and they all gave me a small new way of seeing things through their cultural perspective. This summer was truly amazing.
Samantha Goerger JIF '13, Wyndmere High School (ND)

Right when I arrived, I felt completely comfortable at Cornell. The course I enrolled in was rigorous, but I learned so much. I have never had such an amazing opportunity before in my life. It was an experience of a lifetime and one I will never forget.
Shannon Sayles JIF '13, Les Cheneaux Schools (MI) 
My three week experience at Brown University in their "So You Want To Be A Doctor?" program made my summer the best summer ever. I had so much fun learning and exploring in the labs, making new friends from around the world, and living like a real college student! I now feel more confident applying to highly selective colleges knowing that I have spent time at an Ivy League university. It was the experience of a lifetime and I am so thankful to the Joyce Ivy Foundation for making it possible for me to attend such a wonderful and eye opening program.
Hollie Dowd JIF '13, Glen Lake Schools (MI)
I loved every part of my Joyce Ivy experience. When I got my email that I was to be a Summer Scholar, I skipped around the house out of happiness! At Brown this summer, I got to meet so many amazing people from all across the world and I had the chance to hear their stories. My class was fantastic and I participated in many great discussions that helped me grow as a scholar and a person. It is so great that Joyce Ivy is doing this for girls across the Midwest. While at Brown, I only met two other girls from the Midwest, which is insane. Joyce Ivy gives girls a chance to represent the smarts the Midwest has!
Katie Talerico JIF '13, Wayzata High School (MN)
(Check out the video Katie made about her experience at Brown.)


Comments