Alumna Profile: Sarah Politis JIF '08, Intern at the Olympics and Live! With Kelly and Michael

Sarah (right) and friends at the University of Southern California.
Sarah Politis, a senior at the University of Southern California and 2008 alumna of the Summer Scholars program, has created a college resume filled with off-campus internships. Sarah is from Fraser, Michigan and graduated from Fraser High School in 2010. Her leadership experiences in high school, combined with hosting an online talk show focused on positive role models, introduced her to the power of making meaningful connections with everyone she meets.

We spoke with Sarah and she shared the following reflections about the value of internships during college.


Why did an off-campus internship appeal to you? 
I’m all about new experiences. It’s important to step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself. I’m studying broadcast journalism and I’m fascinated by every aspect of the business. In order to take advantage of the internships that I believed would best prepare me for my future, I had to be open-minded and willing to make it work. My sophomore year I got an internship blogging for Young Hollywood. I didn’t have a car so I would get up two hours before my shift started and take the bus to work. It was absolutely miserable, but making that sacrifice opened so many doors. Now, when future employers Google my name, they’ll notice that I’ve been published by a popular entertainment website. Overall, it was a positive experience and a great resume builder. The internship set me up for my next internship, and the following internship, etc.

When did you begin your application process?
Every application process for my internships has been completely different. The only universal advice I have is to be proactive. It’s important to follow up with people and recognize the difference between showing you’re interested and being a pest. My general rule is to give a recruiter or hiring manager about a week to respond to your e-mail before following up. E-mail is usually the best way to go.

What was the nature of your internships? Where did you work and what did you do?
Sarah working for NBC at the 2012 London Olympics.
This past summer I worked as Michael Strahan’s intern at Live! with Kelly and Michael. I met Michael several years ago when I was hosting an online talk show in high school about positive role models and Michael was a guest. We kept in touch and that created this opportunity to work for him in New York City. I’ve always wanted to live in NYC for an extended period of time and I wasn’t sure when I was going to be able to do that, so I reached out to Michael and asked if I could work for him. Last spring I worked for FUEL TV, a Fox Station that broadcasts action sports. It's most well-known as the home of the UFC. I knew absolutely nothing about the UFC, MMA, or fighting for that matter, but I was intrigued by the internship because I really liked the guys in the department and I thought they could challenge me to become a better writer and more well-rounded person. I learned a lot about sports, but I learned about the business, as well. I was so determined to figure out the sport that I was forced to immerse myself in, the industry, and learn about how things work on the back end: ratings, production, commercials, subscriptions, scheduling, social media, etc. During my internship, FUEL was merging to become FOX Sports 1 so I helped them launch the new channel and got to be a part of the transition. Originally, I was working on digital marketing, monitoring social media and finding the best way to reach people but my role really transformed into helping produce content (articles and photo galleries.) Last fall, I worked at Carousel Productions, Steve Carell’s production company, doing script coverage. In the summer of 2012, I worked for NBC at the London Olympics in the digital department. My primary job was monitoring the live-feed of all of the Olympic events so people back home could watch everything live online. I also created photo galleries and wrote articles for the website. My very first internship was working at WJR News/Talk 760 Radio in Detroit. I was a production intern and helped edit commercials.          

How did the internship prepare you for your career goals?
My internships have been vastly different, but all very hands-on! My dream is to host my own television talk show, interviewing positive role models and sharing their stories with the world. I want to inspire people and motivate people to reach their fullest potential and make a difference in the world. There’s no real path to take to achieve that, but every internship has exposed me to a different part of the industry. The biggest lesson I’ve learned at my internships is to work hard, and be kind. It’s important to have a positive attitude, ask questions, and get to know the people you’re working with. I’ve been very fortunate to work with some incredible people who have encouraged my dream. Networking is so key in this industry. Everybody has something they can teach you – everybody – the security guard at the front desk, the person who delivers the office mail, the office manager, the CEO of the company, the talent, the producers, the other interns – EVERYBODY. You never know who will end up where and who can help you land your next internship or job. Just always be kind and be a “yes” person. Take advantage of all the opportunities you can!
Sarah meets with Alan Mulally, President and CEO of Ford Motor Company, as a Fraser High School student and host of The PoPo Show.
Sarah's experiences demonstrate the diverse opportunities internships provide. As Sarah puts it, "It's important to step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself. Take advantage of all the opportunities you can!" We're excited to see what the future holds for this JIF alumna!

Comments

Post a Comment