Meet Hannah: "Do What Pulls At Your Heart"


During a trip to Ohio – one of the Joyce Ivy Foundation states – I was introduced to Kids Here and There, an organization founded by Hannah Wexner, a senior at Columbus Academy. Hannah, an Ohio native, traveled to Zambia to explore her interests in medicine and global health.
Hannah in Zambia (photo credit: Kids Here and There)
Her experience transformed her own view of the world and spurred her to found, Kids Here and There, an organization that links high school students conducting volunteer work in the Columbus, Ohio area with local businesses, corporations and organizations. In return for the volunteer hours completed by students, the organizations or businesses provide a donation to Kids Here and There. These funds are then used to support to the health care needs of children at the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka, Zambia.

Hannah’s story began with an experience that placed her outside of her Midwestern comfort zone and ultimately resulted in a powerful idea. Her story is full of heart and a pressing need to discover how to make a difference at home in Columbus as well as create a connection between her home community and Zambia.

Here, Hannah shares her thoughts about this journey.

How has the development of Kids Here and There changed you as a person?

HW: Developing Kids Here and There has changed me and shaped me in so many ways. I think I would be remiss to not first acknowledge that my time in Zambia at the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka was a huge factor in this change. I traveled to Zambia with the naive notion that I was going to be able to do something to help while I was there and I could make some sort of impact.

What were your first impressions during your trip?

HW: The scenes of illness, poverty, and sheer desperation and hopelessness I witnessed shook me to the core of everything I believed. The people I met there, especially the doctors, were all optimistic, hardworking, and inspiring but this did not distract from the dire situation many patients found themselves in.

What prompted you to act?

HW: I came home with many questions about the state of the world and the state of meeting high needs. I was frustrated and felt guilty and ultimately useless. The first thing I realized was that extreme poverty does exist and it's not going away by miracle or by ignoring it. My second realization – and this may be the hardest – was that I needed to find some way not to be paralyzed by guilt and sadness.

What did you do?

HW: Well, sitting around and not taking action was just not an option. I think that spark or nagging feeling is within each and every one of us. It’s just a question of finding what sets it off – finding the thing you just can't stand to let go of.

How did you approach such an enormous challenge?

HW: You don't have to save the world overnight. This is hard for me to accept because sometimes I get lost in what I'm doing and think I've made all this progress. Then I really look at it and think that what I'm doing is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I think working on Kids Here and There has definitely changed the way I view the world and it is the most selfish thing I do because I constantly receive so much from it. I have learned about different parts of the world and different efforts to help those in need locally and globally. This work energizes me and it is part of my future. 

Why did you expand the impact of Kids Here and There to include students from multiple Columbus area high schools?
Columbus area high school volunteers (photo credit: Kids Here and There)

HW: I want to include as many students as possible. The more students we have as volunteers and the more hours we log, the more we can help the Columbus area and generate money we will be able to release to the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka. Our current high school student volunteers attend the following Columbus area high schools: Bexley High School, Bishop Hartley High School, Columbus Academy, Columbus School for Girls, Gahanna High School, Hilliard Bradley High School, KIPP Journey Academy, Linden McKinley STEM, Mifflin High School, New Albany High School, South High School, St. Charles Preparatory School and Upper Arlington High School.

How will you expand the impact locally and globally?

HW: We will expand the support we provide to address other needs around the local Columbus communities and the world. I think there are so many kids out there who are involved in service or want to be involved in meaningful service.  If we can help connect these kids with different local opportunities that they can really get into and excited about, it's a win-win for all.


Recent volunteer work with the Mid-Ohio Food Bank (photo credit: Kids Here and There)
How can high school students create their own community organizations to serve the needs of others?

HW: I would say find what inspires you. I know that sounds beyond cliché, but if you find something that really gets you, just run with it. You won't be able to let it go anyway. Also, don't feel badly if you aren't excited by something that excites someone else. We all have different things that fire us up, and it's just a matter of finding it and then fighting for it. And, seriously, fight for it. 

How did you hold on to your idea and fight for it?

HW: Patience, persistence, and resilience will always win. Embrace the nay-sayers and use their criticisms to improve your project. Lastly, find a strong group of people – even if it's only a few – to be a part of the team and to help you. Don't be afraid to ask people for help; there are a lot of really great people out there.

Any final words of advice?

HW: Have confidence, be tenacious, and do what pulls at your heart. 

Read more about Kids Here and There and the local and global impact of Hannah’s team of Columbus area high school student volunteers on the organization's website.

Comments

  1. This is such an inspirational piece! I love the idea that you "can't change the world overnight"
    AND you still need to have confidence and be tenacious. Powerful words and story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment