Joyce Ivy College Admissions Symposium: A Student's Perspective

As someone who has been through the college admissions process and now works in an admissions office, I can say with complete confidence that the Joyce Ivy College Admissions Symposium (JCAS) is among the most useful, comprehensive, and well-executed events in the nation.  To my knowledge, there is no other event during which high school students are allowed such an up close and personal look into the world of highly selective admissions, and the symposium’s emphasis on introspection and collaboration ensures that students leave feeling confident about the next steps in their college exploration.  It is an absolute must-attend event for anyone beginning the college admissions process. 
When I was a high school junior, I remember feeling overwhelmed by the myriad of choices and deadlines in front of me.  I had already fallen in love with the institution that I currently attend, and I wanted to make sure that I did everything in my power to give myself the best chance for acceptance.  Although I ultimately did achieve my goal, the months leading up to the decision release were among the most stressful of my life.  Without a trusted resource to turn to with my questions and concerns, I internalized the pressure and could focus on little else.   
I can only imagine how much different the process would have been if JCAS would have existed when I was in high school.  The symposium features elements such as an essay writing workshop, technology utilization seminar, and Case Study breakout session (during which students assume the role of admissions officers and analyze real Common Application materials).   In addition, students have the opportunity to interact closely with admissions representatives from highly selective institutions, as well as with their high-achieving peers from Michigan and beyond.  Through these events, JCAS works to demystify the admissions process and gives students the confidence to take charge of their futures.
            Attendance at the 2014 Joyce Ivy College Admissions Symposium is one of the most proactive steps that students can take toward ensuring that their college admissions process is a smooth and positive experience that ultimately results in a great match.  This unparalleled opportunity is definitely not one to miss.  Registration for the student portion of the symposium is available here.  See you in May! 

Comments