Summer Scholars '14 Update #1: From rural Ohio to Cornell


Today, we welcome guest blogger Ashlea Kennedy, a 2014 Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar from Ohio, who is attending Cornell's 6-week summer program right now.
Ashlea in Ithaca

Hello! My name is Ashlea Kennedy. I am from Stratton, Ohio, a small village on the Ohio River. I attend Edison High School, but I am also taking advantage of Ohio’s Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program. I take all of my classes at Eastern Gateway Community College in Steubenville, Ohio for both high school and college credit. I have racked up 36 credit hours over the past year, and I plan on graduating with an Associate’s Degree next spring. From there, I will go to a four-year university to continue my education with the goal of becoming a physician.
I am attending Summer College at Cornell University after receiving a scholarship from the Joyce Ivy Foundation. I will be at Cornell for 6 weeks, studying under their Biological Research and the Health Professions program and taking a Creative Writing course and a Cell Biology course. So far, I have found the classwork challenging, but extremely interesting and exciting.
I arrived on the Cornell campus in Ithaca, New York on Saturday June 21st, 2014. It was a very busy day. At first, we drove around campus, completely and helplessly lost, but finally we found South Balch Hall, which will be my home for the next 6 weeks! A group of RCAs and Cornellian volunteers graciously loaded my multiple bags onto a cart and took it to my room (on the fifth floor!) on the elevator. I checked in and got my room and mailbox keys, along with my Cornell ID card. Then, my mom and I hiked up the 5 flights of stairs while my dad found a place to park. Parking is scarce here on campus because many people bike, walk, or take the bus. He joined us at my room to help set it up. Looking around now, I think we did a fine job. I was a little bummed at first when I found out that I didn’t have a roommate, but I think there are a lot of pros to having a single room. I did not meet my sink-mate until later that night. Our rooms are connected by a small sink room, which is unique to Balch Hall. Her name is Bin-Bin, but she likes to be called Nettie, and she is Chinese. The girl across the hall from me is named Marie, and she is from Austria. I have also met a girl from Italy, several from China, a couple from Thailand, a few from India, one from Guatemala, and several others from all over the world! I didn’t realize that it was going to be this diverse, but it definitely enhances the experience.
On the first evening, there was an Ice Cream Social in the Balch Hall courtyard for all of the summer college students. This is just one of the many activities that Cornell has provided the summer college students for us to get to know one another. For example, I signed up to help construct the Cornell Summer Times, which is a summer student-run newspaper. I expect to meet some great people through this activity. There are lots of opportunities to get involved with extra-curricular activities at Cornell. The college hosted an activity fair, where there were tables set up for everything from yoga to quidditch!
Recently, a group of friends and I traveled into the city to shop and look around. Ithaca is a beautiful city, and there are many interesting small shops. One of the reasons that I chose Cornell is that it isn’t in a very urban setting. I like that Cornell isn’t right in the middle of the city, but more of on the outskirts, because even though I enjoy shopping and walking around, going to different shops, I also enjoy being able to hike through the woods and view all of the different wildlife.

I am so excited to be attending Cornell for the summer, and couldn’t have attended without the scholarship I received from the Joyce Ivy Foundation. I also attended the Joyce Ivy Foundation’s Summer Scholars Gala in Ypsilanti, Michigan in May. I learned so many things at the Summer Scholars Gala that I now feel more prepared than ever to begin the college application process. I cannot thank the Joyce Ivy Foundation enough for everything that they have done for me.


Cornell's famous chimes

Interested in reading more from Ashlea? You can check out her personal blog here with more details about her time at one of Joyce Ivy's partner programs, Cornell Summer College for High School Students.

Comments