Summer Scholars '14 Update #2: New experiences in Cambridge

Welcome to guest blogger and 2014 Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar Amber Heard from Ohio! Amber is attending Harvard's rigorous 8-week pre-college summer program with a Joyce Ivy scholarship right now.


Amber with her sister Ashleigh

Hello! 你好! Cześć! ¡Hola! My name is Amber Heard. I am a senior at Fairfield Senior High School in Fairfield, Ohio. I am a regional officer for Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) and Business Professionals of America (BPA). I am a member of National Honor Society (NHS), a 2014 Joyce Ivy Scholar, and a 2014 Questbridge Scholar. After high school, I plan to pursue a career in International Business.

This summer I am attending Harvard University for their 8-week Secondary School Program for high school students after the Joyce Ivy Foundation graciously bestowed upon me a scholarship to attend. Harvard University is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, a city bustling with life and character. Harvard is regarded as one of the most prestigious universities in the world and is known for its academic excellence in various fields. I came to Harvard with the hopes that I will find what I am passionate about and build upon it for the future.

I arrived at the campus on June 21st around mid-afternoon. The city was alive with unique shops, bold pedestrians, and horrendous traffic. It took awhile for me to take in this whole new city since I come from a more suburban area. My family and I explored the campus and a portion of Cambridge. We picked up my ID, key, moved in to the Greenough dorm, and met my wonderful proctor, Stephen. I met my roommates later on in the day since I was the last one to arrive and the last to pick a bed (which was a top bunk). One of my roommates, Konstancja, is from Poland while the other, Sandra, is from Guam. They are both very lively, funny, confident, and driven. We have been inseparable since the day that we met. My entryway (Greenough 2!) consists of people from California, New York, New Jersey, Mexico, Pakistan, Romania, Ukraine, Scotland, Illinois, China, Brazil, Florida, and Connecticut. Like my roommates, we all connected and became wonderful friends (we hang out almost every day!)

My classes are Introduction to Biomedical Ethics and Law and Psychology. Introduction to Biomedical Ethics consists of the exploration of various ethical theories on topics such as abortion, euthanasia, surrogates, clones, and other medical-related controversies. The professor masterfully connects these theories to everyday life and consistently challenges us with friendly debates. Law and Psychology explores the legal and psychological aspects of crimes and court cases. We are currently learning about criminal psychology, the insanity defense, mental illness, eyewitness identification, false memories, confessions, and court cases characterized by absurdities and injustices. The professor is a forensic psychologist (someone who studies human actions and experiences through clinical and scientific research and applies them to all aspects of law and criminal management) who is very analytical and meticulous in his observations and possesses experience with actual court cases. These courses are very rigorous, conceptual, and require a lot of reading but are still eye-opening and enriching.

Competing in Harvard's annual Trivia Bowl competition

At Harvard, you are treated as a college student. You are expected to study on your own, make it to your classes on time, know where your classes are, feed yourself, go out and buy the things you need, and you don’t have a curfew if you are 17 or older. Some will choose to abuse this privilege while others utilize and manage it well. I appreciate the fact that we are given the option to be independent because it teaches us valuable lessons about being a responsible adult during life after high school.

My experience at Harvard has been marvelous, exhilarating, delightful, and beneficial to my future endeavors. I have met all sorts of people from various cultures and backgrounds and gained friends for a lifetime. This experience has taught me that no limit exists when it comes to learning inside and outside of the classroom.  I would truly like to thank Joyce Ivy for making this trip possible and providing me with such a wonderful opportunity. I am more confident about my future and as a young lady; I am prepared to challenge and push myself to achieve the previously inconceivable.

Visiting nearby MIT with new friends

Interested in applying for the 2015 Summer Scholars program? Want to help more students like Amber have the experience of a lifetime? Find out more at our website!!
'Like' us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on all the latest Joyce Ivy news.

Comments