Summer Scholars '14 Update: Alternative Energy and Exploring in Providence

This week, we welcome guest blogger and 2014 Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar Jessica Robyns from Marquette, Michigan!  Jessica recently completed an Alternative Energy Engineering course at Joyce Ivy partner program Brown University Pre-College Summer.


Jessica and her dad

Hello! My name is Jessica Robyns. I’m a rising senior from Marquette, Michigan, a small town on the shore of Lake Superior. I am a member of National Honor Society, Marquette City Band, and the Environmental Club. I attend Marquette Senior High School, but I also take classes at Northern Michigan University. I plan to pursue a career in environmental science.

I received a scholarship from Joyce Ivy to participate in Brown University’s pre-college program. I lived on Brown’s campus for two weeks. Brown is located in Providence, Rhode Island, one of the oldest cities in the United States. Brown is known around the world for its exceptional undergraduate instruction and its unique Open Curriculum, which eliminates distribution requirements.

I got on a plane early in the morning on June 15th, Father’s Day. I hugged my dad and thanked him for driving me all the way to the Detroit airport, then got in line for the security check. I had never traveled on a plane by myself before, but as soon as I got to my seat, which was a window seat, my excitement overshadowed my fears. As the plane took off, I watched the buildings and cars beneath me get smaller and smaller, until they were covered by clouds. When we reached Rhode Island, I understood why it’s called the Ocean State. Lush green forests bordered sparkling blue water, creating a beautiful view from the airplane.


Bruno the Bear (Brown's mascot!)

The campus of Brown University was just as beautiful. I got to see a lot more of it than I expected, as I got lost a few times trying to find my dorm. When I finally did, I couldn’t believe that it was on the sixth floor! Thankfully, a nice girl from the fifth floor offered to help me out, and we carried my suitcase up together. Everyone at Brown was very friendly, and I still keep in touch with the friends I made. After everyone had arrived, my R.A., Sarah, got everyone from the 6th floor together and took us on a tour. She showed us where our classes were, and I got a chance to meet the other girls. We were all from different backgrounds and different corners of the United States. During my time at Brown, I met people from all over the world, including China, India, and Singapore.

My class started the next day. It was called Alternative Energy Engineering, and it was a fascinating course. Although some of the engineering concepts were hard for me to grasp, I had a lot of fun building small motors, putting together a hydrogen fuel cell kit, riding an electric bike, and setting off rockets in the grass. I wanted to take the class because I’m interested in alternative energy and the issues surrounding it, and I feel I now have a much deeper understanding of it. We learned about the pros and cons of solar panels, wind farms, and nuclear energy; evidence for and against global warming; and the basic principles of energy and electricity.

I did a lot of walking while I was at Brown. I ended up walking up and down Thayer St. countless times every day. It was the location of my dorm building, the dining hall, and the Brown bookstore, where I liked read. Thayer St. was where the campus ended and the city of Providence began. Coming from a small town in Michigan, I wasn’t used to living in a city. I had never seen so many people and such a variety of shops. Sometimes in the evening, a guy would stand on the sidewalk and play music from Star Wars on his soprano saxophone. The sound carried down the street for several blocks.


My view of Thayer Street from the 9th floor of the SciLi (Sciences Library)

During my time at Brown, I learned much more than just what was taught in the classroom. Every day, Brown offered countless workshops run by students or admissions officers. These workshops taught us both how to prepare for college and how to be successful in it. I went to workshops with titles like “Learningception: How to Supersize Your Brain” and “How to Master the College Admissions Essay.” I learned invaluable strategies for applying to college and for managing my time, and I had fun in the process. I also got a feel for what the college experience is like. I was given a lot of freedom, but with freedom comes responsibility. I liked being able to go out for pizza or coffee with my friends whenever I wanted, but I was also responsible for doing my own laundry and getting to class on time.

I’m very grateful to the Joyce Ivy Foundation for giving me the opportunity to go to Brown this summer. Without my Joyce Ivy scholarship, I would not have been able to attend. It was a wonderful and enriching experience, and I’m so glad I did it. Because of what I learned at Brown, I feel much more confident and prepared for my future in college and beyond.

Engineering building at Brown


Want more updates from Joyce Ivy like this one? Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Do you know someone who could benefit from an experience like Jessica's? Click here to learn more about the Joyce Ivy Summer Scholars program and our partner program at Brown University Pre-College.

Comments