Fellow Profile: Abril Rangel-Pacheco, JIF '13

Greetings! My name is
Abril Rangel-Pacheco and I am very excited to be a part of the Joyce Ivy Foundation Fellows family!

I am currently a high school senior attending Omaha South High Magnet School in Omaha, Nebraska. I am part of the National Honor Society, the Latino Leaders, and the Varsity volleyball team at South High. I come from a big family (there’s 9 of us) and my parents are originally from a small town in Guanajuato, Mexico. Growing up my parents placed an emphasis on the importance of education and because of the immense support my family has provided in my academic career, I decided to apply to the Johns Hopkins Discover Hopkins summer program and the Joyce Ivy Foundation summer scholars program during my sophomore year in high school. To my surprise (and delight) I was accepted into both and before I knew it I was on a plane for the first time ever heading to Baltimore, Maryland. My experience at Hopkins was life-changing in a variety of ways and it helped me grow as a person. Not only did I get to meet many people from different cultures and learn how to be independent but I got to make friends from all over the country that I still keep in touch with to this day. Experiencing college life for the first time helped me see what my future would be like after high school and I am extremely grateful that I now get to be a part of the foundation that helped take advantage of such an incredible opportunity.  I’m currently in the process of applying to colleges and because of my experience at Hopkins, I am very excited to start college in the fall of 2015. I hope to pursue a career in healthcare in the future and be the first in my family to attend and graduate from college. I am looking forward to getting to know the rest of the Joyce Ivy Foundation members and I can’t wait to begin working with them!

Comments