Fellow Profile: Alice Zhang, JIF '14

Hello! My name is Alice Zhang and I am a junior at Indian Hill High School in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am captain of my school’s Science Olympiad team and am also a member of Model UN and MIHACT (Mighty Indian Hill Academic Challenge Team). I play the oboe for band and pit orchestra, and I volunteer at my local hospital. I also play for my school’s varsity golf team.

My love for science translated directly to my decision to attend a two-week program at Johns Hopkins University this past summer with the scholarship I received from the Joyce Ivy Foundation.  There, I took Introduction to Lab Research, a course that exposed me to the world of lab research and several state-of-the-art JHU labs. The experience outside of class was just as fantastic as the class itself. I loved exploring the JHU campus, strolling around Baltimore’s Inner Harbor with friends, and meeting people with different stories and backgrounds from all different parts of the world. The two weeks I spent at Johns Hopkins flew by in a flash, but in that short amount of time I was able to make unforgettable memories and many friends all the while gaining a deeper knowledge regarding today’s biotechnologies.

All of the experiences the Joyce Ivy Foundation have provided me with, JCAS, Summer Scholars Gala, two weeks at Johns Hopkins, and mentoring, have all been helpful, incredible, and memorable. Over the course of this summer, I have gained memories, experiences, and knowledge that have opened my mind to the infinite possibilities of the world. Before my experiences from this summer, I would never have felt as confident about myself and the future college application process as I do now having learned so much during this past summer. Now as a Fellow I would like to reciprocate those favors and continue to work with Joyce Ivy by sharing the insights I gained through all of my experiences with other girls from the Midwest.     

Comments