Fellow Profile: Chaltu Musse, JIF '14

Assalaamu ‘Alaykum!

It’s Chaltu Musse here, a junior at Harding High School in St. Paul, Minnesota. I am the sixth child of eight, which has made me grow into a very energetic and talkative person. That being said, Speech team is the place for me, and I tell you, I love Speech and Theatre more than Kanye West loves Kanye West! I am captain of the speech team, VP of the Astronomy club, and a state-level Dramatic Interpretation performer. I also star in Theatre department productions and speech showcases. JIF provided me with a very-much-needed break from seven IB classes by assisting me in my adventure to the Harvard University Summer Institute in the summer of 2014. While at Harvard, I took Law and Psychology and War Crimes, Genocide, and Justice. Although I am a math and science fanatic, I enjoyed these classes to the greatest extent. Being immersed into government classes that I would not have experienced otherwise gave me a better look at my options for my future. Alas, I remain intent on studying neurobiology in college and becoming a psychiatrist in the future.  

I had a beautiful experience this summer at Harvard. Aside from my new-found addiction to Panera Bread bagels (cinnamon crunch, sliced but not toasted, with wild blueberry cream cheese...mmm), I gained countless unforgettable moments, including the moment I found out I was staying in Mark Zuckerberg’s former dorm room! I met spirited, colorful, and inspiring people that cannot be forgotten, and for all of this, I have the Joyce Ivy Foundation to thank.

Being a part of the JIF experience has changed me in ways that cannot be put into words. It has opened my eyes to the college experience and has taught me how to chase my goals, and now I am excited to help others do the same! My own journey has not yet ended, and I am enthused to begin working hand-in-hand with inspiring women to reach my own goals, and assist in helping other women to reach their own.

Comments