Fellow Profile: Elizabeth Daugherty, JIF '13, Johns Hopkins '18

To one and all, I am so pleased to meet you! I am Elizabeth Daugherty, and although I was born in China, I have lived the majority of my years in an itty-bitty town called Peculiar, MO, which is approximately fifteen minutes outside of Kansas City, MO. Growing up in a rural area that offered little in the way of academic enrichment, JIF afforded me the invaluable opportunity to study organic chemistry at Brown two summers past, and for that I will be forever grateful. The Joyce Ivy Foundation has already made such a difference in the lives of hundreds of Midwestern girls who would not have been able to gain experiences at such elite institutes without JIF, and they made such an impression in my life, that I am thrilled to be able to give back!
As a freshman at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD, I am double majoring in English as well as Molecular and Cell Biology and intend to enter the field of surgery after completing medical school. Outside of academics, I study piano at Peabody and play percussion in the Wind Ensemble. Even though I have not long been a blue jay, I have quickly come to love my school of choice. I love Hopkins not only for their incredible academics and unparalleled research opportunities, but because I have finally found where I belong. Regardless of various perceptions about Hopkins concerning cutthroat academics and obsessive premeds, for the first time in my academic life I feel at home. The environment is competitive, but in a way that makes me proud of who we are. We sharpen one another and the more successful we are in the classroom, the better we are able to serve in the hospital or laboratory.
The college application process was such a tumultuous, nerve-wracking gamble of standardized exams and passionately written essays, but of course it was worth it! My roommate and I host prospective students in our dorm (we call it the penthouse!) and I am thrilled to be even more involved in the admissions process. I applied to a wide range of colleges for very specific reasons because I did a lot of research over the years and I would like to help other young women across the Midwest do the same. I enjoy college admission statistics and the anticipation and excitement that comes along with them and I hope to be able to advise others, so that when the first day of their freshman year comes around, they will come to feel about their school just as I do about Hopkins- it is the happiest place on earth and I could not have made a better decision! To that end, I am so glad to be working with you all to help other girls find their perfect schools!

Comments