Fellow Profile: Emily Goering, JIF '13, WashU '18

Hello, my name is Emily Goering and I am a freshman at Washington University in St. Louis hailing from Platte City, Missouri. Two years ago, as a high school junior, I received an email stating that opportunity is out there. Having grown up in a rural community my entire life, the rest of the world was only just a dream to me; a young girl wanting to pursue biological research. Joyce Ivy provided my first real ticket of exploration. For the very first time I flew on a plane and explored the United States, visiting previously unimaginable places like New York City in day trips with the Summer Science and Engineering program at Smith College. This opportunity truly blew my mind. During the day I worked at the lab bench, performing hands-on collegiate biological experiments in neuroscience and genetics. At night, after working on the final presentation, I received guidance in the first steps toward physical pursuit of greater research opportunities, and ultimately college admissions from peers and professors. I returned home impassioned towards not only working towards my goal of contributing new knowledge to the vast pool of science, but also in working to provide more “golden tickets” to girls throughout the Midwest that don’t even realize they have a chance. Joyce Ivy gave me my chance, by opening the door to nationwide opportunity, and I am very excited to work as a Joyce Ivy Fellow to work towards opening even more doors and shattering more dreams. Adventure is out there!

Comments