Fellow Profile: Haley Varnadoe, JIF '14

Hello all, my name is Haley Varnadoe! I am in my final year at Marietta Senior High School in the small and historic town of Marietta, Ohio.  Thanks to the Joyce Ivy Foundation, I spent part of the summer of 2014 at Johns Hopkins University studying nutrition and public health while having the time of my life.

I love learning about the practices of the food systems in America and how they affect the health of the millions living here. Recently, some friends and I founded a greenhouse club that utilizes my school’s greenhouse to demonstrate to the students of my school how easy growing your own organic produce really is.   When I go to college, I plan on studying environmental sciences and eventually going on to graduate school for a degree in public health.

When I’m not freaking out about where I’ll be spending the next four years, I’m probably in or around the pool.  I am a competitive swimmer and triathlete, and I also lifeguard and teach swim lessons.  My favorite thing in the world is probably food, particularly sweets.  I own and operate a small bakery business that caters to many events in my area.   I love to travel, and a large amount of my weekends are spent visiting family or colleges, competing in various athletic events, or going to see my favorite artists in concert.

Without the influence of the Joyce Ivy Foundation, I would not be the confident young woman I am today.  I gained more than just financial assistance with my scholarship;  I gained the confidence in knowing that I belong among some of the greatest young minds in the country today.  I applied to be a Joyce Ivy fellow because I want to help other girls in the Midwest inherit the confidence this process gave me.  Over the next few months, I am so excited to interact with the potential 2015 Summer Scholars along with the entire JIF community. Thanks for reading and I hope we have the opportunity to interact soon!


Comments