Fellow Profile: Katharine Janes, JIF '12 & Notre Dame '18

We are pleased to introduce the team of 2014-2015 Fellows! We'll share new profiles each day. The full list of Fellows is available here.
Hello to all Joyce Ivy Foundation (JIF) Summer Scholars, supporters, and friends!

My name is Katharine Janes, and I am currently a freshman studying International Economics in the Glynn Family Honors Program of the University of Notre Dame. I hail from a small town in mid-Michigan called Mount Pleasant, having graduated from Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart Academy last June. I was recently named one of the twenty-five 2014-2015 Fellows of the JIF, and needless to say, I am thrilled to continue work with such a fantastic organization.

My desire to become a JIF Fellow stemmed from my own engagement as a Summer Scholar in 2012. My experience studying Leadership and Global Engagement at Brown was truly life changing, exposing me to some of the most intelligent people I had ever met and motivating me to explore my collegiate possibilities and apply to schools I would have never otherwise considered. I felt both intellectually stimulated and socially exhilarated, and I was given just a small taste of how transformative college would soon be. I became a more confident, motivated, and inspired individual after my time in Providence, and I long to help facilitate this in the lives of other girls today.
Since my time as a Summer Scholar, I have remained engaged with the JIF in many capacities. This includes attending/working the past three College Admissions Symposiums, speaking on panels about my summer experience, and mentoring Summer Scholars as they now navigate the college admissions process. The JIF was integral as I traversed this territory last year, and as a Fellow, I am most looking forward to forming personal connections with students and assisting them as the JIF once did for me.

As a junior and senior in high school, I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit upwards of twenty college campuses, talk to admissions officers, and truly evaluate which criteria I required in the school at which I would spend the next four years of my life. Notre Dame has proved to be the perfect institution for me; however, I long to help other girls discover their own path. I am so grateful for the opportunity to more deeply engage with the JIF, and I look forward to interacting with many of you in the coming months!

 

Comments