Fellow Profile: Mary Patton, JIF '14


Hi! My name is Mary Patton and I am from Avon Lake, Ohio. I attend Avon Lake High School and am currently a Junior. I am an active member of my school’s Model United Nations, French National Honor Society and Lacrosse team. Outside of school, I am an avid reader and enjoy playing the piano.

Through the Joyce Ivy Foundation’s Summer Scholar Program, I was able to attend a Pre-College Course at Brown University on Cultural Anthropology over the summer between my sophomore and junior year. I had already been fascinated by studying Social Sciences as well as International Relations and this class allowed me to explore my interests. Going to Brown provided me with an extremely rewarding experience.  It has granted me with some of my best memories like finding my way around Boston and exploring Newport Beach. Also, I was able to meet a variety of people; some of which came from California, while others, including my roommate, came from France.  Academically, I am motivated to achieve more in my school and eventually at the college I choose to attend. I surprised myself by achieving more than I ever thought I would be able to. Every day taught me something new about the people I met, what I studied and myself. I look forward to future work as a new Joyce Ivy Foundation Fellow. I am excited to join this organization and to have the opportunity to help others so that they can have a similar experience. By sharing my own experience, I hope others will be motivated to pursue their own interests. Without this program, I wouldn’t be the student or person I am now so I am immensely grateful to have had this experience and the chance to become a Fellow. Thank you to everyone who reads this and I look forward to being a part of the Fellows program!

Comments