Fellow Profile: Michelle Zabat, JIF '13, Brown '18

Hello! My name is Michelle Zabat, and I am from beautiful Rochester Hills, Michigan. In June 2014 I graduated from Stoney Creek High School, and a few months ago I made the move to wonderful Providence, Rhode Island to start my undergraduate studies as part of Brown University’s Class of 2018. Although undecided on a concentration (that’s what we call majors here), right now I am considering Brown’s Health & Human Biology program, an interdisciplinary field encompassing biology, the humanities, and the social sciences. I am absolutely ecstatic to be working with the Joyce Ivy Foundation. Without the opportunities JIF opened up to me, I most certainly would not be where I am today.
The summer before my senior year of high school, I became part of the fantastic group of Joyce Ivy ’13 Summer Scholars, which enabled me to attend a two-week Leadership Institute course at Brown University. Before the program, I had never even slightly considered applying to a place like Brown. After all, I was just another girl from the Midwest, right? However, the few days I spent at Brown were transformative. By the end of my course, I was in love with the school. And because of JIF, I was mildly hopeful that I might have a shot at being a Brown student after all (for real this time).
I’m sure you can imagine how loudly I screamed when I got my acceptance letter.
And so here I am, a young Midwestern woman in the midst of the transition to living on the east coast. Even after just a few weeks, I have realized how different life can be 800 miles away from home (for example, nobody here can understand me… I never realized how strong my Michigan accent is). However, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that even amidst the big changes currently happening, I am still the curious, excitable, enthusiastic girl I have always been. Becoming a student at one of the most renowned institutions in the world has not forced me to significantly alter the person I have become over the last 17 years of my life, and for that I am thankful. My Midwestern identity is something I will always carry close to my heart.
So who am I, anyway? I play soccer and volleyball, and I am an avid yogi. I am a pianist, a guitarist, and a singer (although that one is mostly confined to the shower). In my spare time, I absolutely love to cook. Not having a kitchen at school is tough, to say the least! Other than that, I enjoy a little bit of everything, from reading and sketching to taking pictures and traveling. I am so honored for the opportunity to work with the Joyce Ivy Foundation, and I look forward to helping make other girls’ dreams come true, just as JIF did for me.

Comments