Fellow Profile: Alafair Turner, JIF '14

Hi! I’m Alafair Turner, a junior at Maumee Valley Country Day School in northwest Ohio. I’m very interested in science, math, and social issues. I’m head of Issue Day, an annual educational conference planned and hosted by the junior class at my school that’s focused on human rights this year. I’m involved in the Feminist Club, which promotes the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes, and the Animal Rights Club, founded by two of my friends and myself after I became a vegan at the beginning of this past summer. I also love playing field hockey and lacrosse for my school!

With the support of the Joyce Ivy Foundation, I was able to spend my summer at Stanford University’s Summer College. It was an incredible eight weeks. Taking classes in computer science and astrophysics, visiting San Francisco with friends, trying on Google Glass, meeting people from places around the world, and visiting the SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) with my professor were just a few of the amazing opportunities I enjoyed at Stanford. After arriving home and hearing of the JIF Fellows program, I knew that I wanted to immerse myself in helping other young women have access to such great opportunities. Girls my age should be exposed to progressive fields, people, and institutions. At the start of last year, I would never have thought it possible that I would be taking college courses at one of the best universities in the world, and I’m sure many of my peers feel the same way. However, the Joyce Ivy Foundation makes it possible for these dreams to come true, and I feel that many high- achieving, hard-working, talented students deserve this chance. I’m so excited to be a JIF Fellow because I’ll get to help students like myself accomplish their aspirations, through mentorship, blogging, fundraising, summer scholarships, and the JCAS. Thanks for reading!

Comments