Fellow Friday: Amber Heard

Fellow Friday: Amber Heard, JIF '14



Hometown: Fairfield, OH
High School: Fairfield High School
College: NA
Major: International Business


Why did you decide to become a Fellow?

The Joyce Ivy Foundation provided me with the amazing opportunity to stretch my comfort zone by attending Harvard University's Secondary School Program. After the experience, I had the strong desire to introduce similar opportunities to young women at my school. The Fellows program was the perfect chance to network with past and current Joyce Ivy scholars and recruit new scholars. When I was invited to become a Fellow, I was ecstatic. Being a Fellow has been an enriching experience that has allowed me to spread the mission of the Joyce Ivy Foundation by encouraging young women to pursue their dreams.

What is your favorite memory from your summer experience?

My favorite memory from Harvard was going to Six Flags with my friends. Since I was a young girl, I have been deathly afraid of rollercoasters after a bad encounter with one when I was 5. I thought I wouldn't be able to have fun because of this fear. However, my daredevil friends convinced me to get over my fear by riding the scariest rollercoaster in the whole park. It actually worked! I love rollercoasters now. It just goes to show that you have to conquer your fears head on.

Why does the Joyce Ivy Foundation rock?

The Joyce Ivy Foundation is a unique organization in the fact that it encourages young women in the Midwest to attend summer programs at ivy league schools. Young women, especially at my age, tend to doubt their abilities to get accepted into such top-tier schools. Joyce Ivy not only provides young women with scholarships to attend these programs but also advice on the college process; information on various schools; and the opportunity to play an integral part in the organization through the Fellows program. Organizations like the Joyce Ivy Foundation deserve applause!


How did JIF affect where you are today?

The Joyce Ivy Foundation gave me the confidence to know that I can achieve anything I set out to do. Before Joyce Ivy, I used to not believe in myself to the point where it almost prevented me from applying to the Joyce Ivy scholars program and Harvard. Now, I am able to take more risks and challenge myself to pursue my dreams. For that, I am forever grateful to the Joyce Ivy Foundation for continuing to be supportive of my endeavors and stretching my comfort zone.


Do you have a question for Amber?  Email her at heardcamber@gmail.com

Comments