Fellow Friday: Lauren Zielinski

Fellow Friday: Lauren Zielinski, JIF '14



Hometown: Macomb, Michigan
High School: L'Anse Creuse High School North
College: University of Michigan
Major: Biomedical Engineering
 

Why did you decide to become a Fellow?

My desire to become a Fellow came from the my experience as a summer scholar at Brown University this past year. My experience at Brown challenged me grow not only as a scholar in the class but as a person outside the classroom. After my summer I returned home with a new sense of confidence and motivation. Furthermore, the summer had renewed my love for learning and I want other young women to have the same transformative experience. When the chance presented itself to become a Fellow I knew that the position would allow me to help facilitate other young women to purse the colligate dreams.  

What is your favorite memory from your summer experience?

My favorite memory from my experience at Brown would be a night full of wonderful conversations between myself and some the girls on my floor. During my time at Brown my nightly ritual consisted of hanging out with a bunch of girls on my floor in my room. On one night in particular we spent four hours just talking. We talked about our lives, politics and many other things. However, the most amazing part was that all of us had different and distinct points of view. In my room alone we represented four different countries and 4 different states. That night allowed me to see parts of the word that I never imagined I would. 

Why does the College Admissions Symposium rock?

The Joyce Ivy College Admission Symposium is an effective and unique way to encourage young Midwest women to apply to Ivy League schools. Many young women in Midwest often doubt their ability and skills leading them to believe that they don't have a shot at an Ivy League school. However, JCAS allows students to see that they posses the skills and grades to be accepted at a top tier school. Furthermore, JCAS allows young women the opportunity to interact with college admission officers at top tier schools that they wouldn't have access to otherwise.


How did JIF affect where you are today?

The Joyce Ivy Foundation gave me the amazing opportunity to attend Brown University this past summer. Educationally, my experience allowed me further my knowledge by challenging me to think critically. In a broader sense, JIF afforded me the opportunity to meet people who I would have never met otherwise. The overall experience gave me more confidence and inspired me to apply to schools that I had never considered otherwise.


Do you have a question for Lauren?  Email her at laurzie0902@gmail.com

Comments