The Role of a Residential Advisor

By: Michelle Zabat 
Brown undergrad and Summer@Brown RA
Michelle Zabat strikes a pose with the Brown bear

Almost exactly two years ago, I stepped foot onto Brown’s campus for the first time as a rising high school senior. I can still remember the worries bouncing around in my head and the uneasy excitement tightening my stomach. What if you’re not smart enough for your course? What if everything is too different from home? What if you stick out because you’re a Summer Scholar? The fear was unfamiliar, and that was unsettling.


When I applied for the Summer@Brown course and the Joyce Ivy scholarship, it seemed like a hopeless endeavor. I thought I was applying for a program I wouldn’t be smart enough for at a school I wouldn’t like. I didn’t believe I had a chance at winning a scholarship over the most accomplished girls in the Midwest.


Now, two years later, I’ve finished my first year of college, and I’m a rising sophomore at Brown--which is something I still can’t believe is true. The college application process was stressful, the decision to come to Brown was painful, and the past year was filled with more self-doubt and self-consciousness than I ever thought possible. But I believe that the good things I’ve gained outweigh the bad.


My Summer@Brown course changed my life, being a Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar and Fellow changed my life, and my college experience at Brown continues to change my life. This summer, I am working with Brown’s Residential Life office as a Residential Advisor for Summer@Brown, and I am thrilled that I might get the chance to make an impact on a student just like me.


If you’re anything like I was, I’m sure you’re feeling just as nervous as you are excited. I can tell you that before I started RA training last week, I was feeling the exact same way. When it comes to academics, I think there’s always more responsibility on your shoulders than it initially seems. When you’re a student, your successes and failures not only affect you, but also your family (and maybe your friends). When you’re an RA, your successes and failures not only affect you, but also (and arguably more strongly) your residents.


But after a week and a half of training, I can confidently tell you that you are capable enough to succeed in your programs. You will be challenged here both academically and personally, but you will also be surrounded by more resources, support, and opportunities than you can possibly take advantage of (but don’t let that stop you from trying to take advantage of them all!).


I was part of the Leadership Institute during my time at Summer@Brown, which meant that our Residential Advisors also doubled as Teaching Assistants. My TA was absolutely incredible--he shared a lot of my perspectives about school, finances, and aspirations, and I was able to build a strong connection with him over these things. He supported me through the college application process by giving me feedback on my essays, talked me through my college decision when I visited Brown for ADOCH (admitted students’ day), and, in fact, I’m actually meeting him for lunch later this week. Incredible, right?


Know that all the Summer@Brown RAs are here to make sure that your experience is as transformative as it can possibly be. In fact, our job description is pretty much centered around you! Training was exhausting (and daunting at times), but it means that we’re able and willing to help you succeed. Our 180+ RAs are holding workshops, student organization meetings, and activities every single day of the summer. We’ve spent so much time hearing about you that we’re incredibly excited for you to actually be here. And we’re well-trained at dealing with any difficulties you might have during your time here, whether they be physical, emotional, or academic.


I never thought I’d be capable enough to do well at Summer@Brown, to get into Brown, or (especially) succeed as an undergraduate student at Brown. If you’re feeling the same way, that’s completely acceptable--but I hope you’re ready for that to change. I’ll be doing my best to make that change happen, as will all my fellow RAs on staff. I can’t wait for you to get to Providence, because I hope you’ll love it here as much as I do.


Feel free to reach out to me before or when you get to campus; my email is Michelle_Zabat@brown.edu, and I’d be glad to give you my phone number if you’d ever like to chat or meet up. I’m so proud of all the things Joyce Ivy women are accomplishing! Have a good summer, and have a good summer program. You deserve it.

Comments