Fellow Friday: Emily Goering, JIF '13


Hometown: Platte City, Missouri
High School: Platte County R-III High School
Major(s): Biology with a concentration in Neuroscience
Summer Program: Summer Science and Engineering Program at Smith College
Courses: Making Connections (Neuroscience) and Genetics


Why did you choose your summer program?
I chose this summer program because I was looking for a program that would allow me to begin to explore scientific research while also being relaxed enough to allow me to enjoy my time away. Smith Summer Science and Engineering Program (SSEP) was the perfect balance because it provided the chance to learn how to think like a college student and explore research while also giving me time to make strong connections and explore the city since the classes were not graded.

What is your favorite memory from your summer program?
It is difficult to choose a favorite memory because I had so many wonderful moments in many different settings. In my neuroscience class, my favorite moment was probably helping our professor advance his research by raising zebrafish embryos in differing alcohol concentrations and noting the changes on the embryo after a couple of days in alcohol. Some embryos developed two heads! In my genetics class I loved being able to karyotype myself as well as the chance to solve a college-level genetics problem. Outside of classes my favorite memory exploring Northampton with my friends is probably getting bubble tea every day and getting famous Herrell's ice cream. I also loved the optional trip to New York City. Seeing the Statue of Liberty as the sun set is something I will never forget.

Why did you decide to become a Fellow?
I decided to become a Fellow because Joyce Ivy gave me irreplaceable opportunities in science. Joyce Ivy first introduced me to upper education at a premier school as well as collegiate science through this program which then allowed me to go on and achieve wonderful science opportunities at Washington University in St. Louis. Without Joyce Ivy I never would have gone to Smith, and without Smith I would have never known that I could apply to premier schools and be competitive and that I love scientific research.

What do you like best about the JIF?
I like JIF's mission of providing help to a diverse set of girls the best. JIF provides irreplaceable opportunities to a set of students that many people overlook, and changes their lives.

How did the JIF affect who/where you are today?
As I said a little bit earlier, without JIF I would not be pursuing science at Washington University in St. Louis. By helping me attend the Smith program JIF showed me that I can achieve more than simply attending my local colleges and also gave me my first glimpse into research. JIF provided me with a priceless experience in higher education with girls from a diverse variety of backgrounds which gave me the experience to submit a competitive application to premier schools my following senior year.

If you could give any advice to a potential JIF Scholar about anything regarding this experience, what would you say?
I would tell potential scholars to put away any fear or trepidation and just go for the program and college of their dreams. You are a much better student and applicant than you think you are, and if you want to achieve something that you might think is impossible go ahead and try. Colleges do want you, and putting an application out there is much more satisfying than not. Shoot for the moon, if you miss you will land among the stars.

If you would like to contact Emily, feel free to e-mail her at egoering@wustl.edu.

Comments