Fellow Friday: Lucy Cordes, JIF '15

Some of my friends and me in Newport on the Fourth of July.  I am in the middle, the one wearing the American flag shirt.
Hometown: Omaha, Nebraska
High School: Omaha Central High School
Major(s): Undecided, but maybe something math-related
Summer Program: Summer@Brown
Course: Brain Basics: Presenting to the Public

Why did you choose your summer program?
I found out about the Joyce Ivy Foundation only a few weeks before the application deadline, so I only had time to apply to one university. I chose Brown for its diverse and numerous classes because I had not decided what kind of course I wanted to take as of when I submitted my application. I initially planned to take a math course, but the dates for which it was offered conflicted with some preexisting plans, so Presenting to the Public was my second choice. I am very happy that I chose this course, because public speaking is a skill that I will need for school and that I'm sure I will use quite a bit throughout my life!

What is your favorite memory from your summer program?
My favorite memory from Brown was the Fourth of July. My friends and I took a trip to Newport where we went on the famous Cliff Walk along the shore and relaxed on the beach. That night we walked to a nearby park where we listened to live music and watched a firework show. I also fondly remember the time I spent with the other girls on my floor. They were some of my best friends, and I went shopping with them, met them for almost every meal, and we even had a movie night one weekend.

Why did you decide to become a Fellow?
It wouldn't feel right not to dedicate my time to a foundation that did so much for me. I consider it a responsibility to give back because Joyce Ivy really did give me something special. I also really love what Joyce Ivy stands for, and wanted to be a part of helping young Midwestern women follow their dreams.

What do you like best about JIF?
My two favorite things about JIF are that it is specifically geared to help young women and that it brings out the untapped talent of the Midwest. I think that women are too often discouraged from competing with men academically, and the Joyce Ivy Foundation allow young women to realize that they can be competitive and do more than they ever thought they could. I also feel that the Midwest is often overlooked, so it is amazing that this foundation serves this region specifically.

How did JIF affect who/where you are today?
I think that Joyce Ivy boosted my confidence quite a bit. I am a pretty shy person, and I have known most of my friends since elementary school, so it was very healthy for me to make new friends and talk to new people every day. I am now not so hesitant to step into leadership roles and I am much less afraid of taking positive risks.

If you could give any advice to a potential JIF Scholar about anything regarding this experience, what would you say?
I would tell anyone who is even remotely considering applying to absolutely submit an application. Joyce Ivy provides an amazing opportunity that nobody would want to miss out on just for not applying. I would also advise them to stretch their comfort zone - I had dozens of fears going into this experience, ranging from flying alone to not making friends, and the fact that my class was public speaking made me a bit nervous as well. I ended up really enjoying my class, I did make friends, and flying proved to be less traumatic and more adventurous. If nothing else, I have learned the importance of doing something positive, even if it scares you a little (or a lot!). 

Finally, I would stress the importance of getting involved. Brown had optional scheduled activities every hour and I went to as many as I could, which allowed me to expose myself to different people. I heard stories about some Brown scholars who were miserable because they spent most of their time alone in their dorm room, so it is important to get out whenever possible! I figured that should take advantage of every aspect of the opportunity provided to me, and getting involved made my trip even more memorable.


If you'd like to ask Lucy any questions, feel free to contact her at lucycordes@gmail.com.

Comments