Fellow Friday: Abigail McCoy, JIF '14



Hometown: South Webster, Ohio
High School: South Webster High School

 College: Case Western Reserve University

 Major: Human Resources and Psychology with a minor in Spanish

Summer Program: Harvard University Summer Scholars
Studied: International Law and Linguistics  

Why did you choose your summer program?

I knew I wanted to go away for the whole summer and get college credit, and out of the three programs I was accepted to, I liked the organization of Harvard's program and the classes offered the most. 

What is your favorite memory from your summer program?

On the Fourth of July, my friends and I went into Boston to watch a fireworks display. Right after the fireworks, it immediately started storming, and we had to find our way back to campus in the pouring rain. After changing our clothes, we went out in the storm again to buy food. We had such a fun time that night, and it was mostly because nothing went as planned. That night taught me that as long as you are with people you enjoy being with, anything can be fun. 

Why did you decide to become a Fellow?

I absolutely enjoyed my time at Harvard, and because of that experience, I was better prepared for college and choosing the best college for me. I wanted to help other girls who come from a similar background attend the college of their dreams.

What do you like best about JIF?

I love how all the people I work with are dedicated to helping girls with the college process and making sure they have wonderful summer experiences. 

How did JIF affect who/where you are today?

JIF influenced how I chose my college, because before I attended Harvard, I was only looking at local colleges, but afterward, I widened my search to more prestigious universities. It also reassured me that I could succeed in college and become the best I can be. 

If you could give any advice to a potential JIF Scholar about anything regarding this 
experience, what would you say?

Don't be afraid to apply for the programs that are 7 or 8 weeks long. Being away from home for an entire summer was the best choice I could have made. I was able to make lasting connections with students who were as motivated and dedicated to learning as I am. 


If you'd like to contact Abigail, email her at agmc1996@gmail.com.

Comments