Fellow Friday: Krishaun Burns, JIF '14



Hometown: Detroit, Michigan
High School: Renaissance High School
Potential Major: Event Management and German
Summer Program: Stanford Summer College
Course: Personality Psychology, Interpersonal Relations Sociology, Zumba, Asana Yoga

Why did you choose your summer program?

I chose to attend Stanford Summer College because...well, to be completely honest, I do not have a grand reason about how I knew Stanford was "the one." I wish that I could give you all one, but it, unfortunately, does not exist. When I first applied to JIF, I was undecided between Stanford, Emory, and Barnard. Stanford because, hello, West Coast. Emory because I have family there. Barnard because it's New York. All of the schools are amazing, so the decision was really tough. In the long run, I was drawn to Stanford - I heard nothing but amazing things about it, the courses seemed interesting, and the overview of the 8-weeks was enticing. Is that a good enough reason? Haha.

What is your favorite memory from your summer program?

My favorite memory is the Wal-Mart and Target trips that my friends and I took practically every weekend. There was always something exciting happening. Someone tried to buy my friend's pillow from her; someone else thought that my friend was from Utah; my other friend almost made us get hit while crossing the street (while that is funny now, it was scary then - okay, okay, it was also funny then); we all had to run to catch the bus multiple times. I could go on and on. There's an abundance of stories that I could tell. Sure, they weren't grandiose, but they surely gave us good memories.

Why did you decide to become a Fellow?

I decided to become a Fellow so that I could pay back all that was given to me. The payback is not monetary; there is no way that I could ever repay all of the experiences and joy and memories that I took away from Stanford. The payback is given through the help and advice that I try to give to prospective and current scholars and Fellows. Initially, that was through advocacy and blogging; now, it is through leading/blogging and still advocacy as I can never not let people know what JIF has done for me.

What do you like best about JIF?

I love the community. While at my summer program, it felt really nice knowing that I had a few other JIF Scholars with me. Not all of us met prior to flying out to California, but we became close as soon as we did. And even for the girls that I did not attend program with, it is nice being able to talk to each other and feel a sense of "We've been through the same thing, in a way."

How did JIF affect who you are today?

JIF has encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone, wholeheartedly. I never would of had the opportunity (or COURAGE) to study abroad in Germany without first going to my summer program. I never would have felt like I could become the true leader that I now see myself as. JIF is a program that will stay with you and affect your life for the rest of your life. While you may not see the changes immediately, it is inevitable; you will do or say or think something down the long road, stop, and think about how before your summer program, this you that you are now (or whenever) was born or grown from that time you went to wherever. It has for me.

If you could give any advice to a potential JIF scholar about anything regarding this experience, what would you say?

Don't let fear rule you. Okay, yes, it's completely fine to be scared or nervous initially (after all, you're going away from home for quite a while with strangers). But what is not okay is you letting that stop you from doing what you want. Apply to the Joyce Ivy Foundation. Apply to your summer program. Say goodbye to your friends back home for awhile (you'll see them again - it'll be okay!). Do everything you need to in preparation, in spite of your fear. Then, when it's time, don't think - just go. It'll be so worth it. You'll make a lot of new friends. You'll experience so much. 


If you'd like to contact Krishaun, email her at burns.krishaun@gmail.com.

Comments