Welcome to the 2016-2017 Joyce Ivy Blog!

Welcome to the 2016-2017 edition of the Joyce Ivy Blog! Throughout the coming year, we'll be sharing information on education, extracurricular opportunities, women success stories, colleges, high school tips, and more! Here are short introductions from Kate Tayler and Jenny Zhi, the two Joyce Ivy Fellows who are in charge of leading the blog.

Kate Tayler
My name is Kate Tayler and I'm a senior at Monroe High School in Monroe, Michigan and I'm very much looking forward to working alongside Jenny Zhi and several talented Fellows on the Communications Team this year! Last year, I was very involved with the Communications Team and I am honored to say that this year I am Co-Lead for it! Writing has always been a passion of mine and I look forward to continuing to use it to benefit the Joyce Ivy Foundation.
In the summer after my sophomore year, I used my scholarship to attend Smith College's Young Women's Writing Workshop for two weeks. The program was absolutely life changing and since then I have become more confident, more driven, and I have raised my aspirations for my post-secondary plans. I owe all of this to the Joyce Ivy Foundation and am so fortunate to be able to represent them as as a second-year Fellow. 
Outside of the Foundation, I enjoy reading and writing, participating in drama club, and being an editor for my school's newspaper, Lotus Leaf. 
After high school, I am eagerly waiting to see where I will further my education by majoring in statistics and creative writing. 
I look forward to an excellent year with the Communications Team!

Jenny Zhi
Hi! I’m Jenny Zhi, one of the Communications Team's Co-Leads. I live in Troy, Michigan (sorry, it’s not in Greece), and I’m currently a senior attending Troy High School (creative name, isn’t it? Our city’s other high school is called Athens). 
According to Holland’s personality theories, I’m most interested in the conventional (structure and organization), the artistic (independent and creative), and the realistic (practical and hands-on) things, so it makes sense that the two activities that I devote the most of my time on are robotics and art. It seems, however, that conventional and artistic are complete opposites – just as engineering and art are.
I think not. It’s quite like the Chinese theory of yin and yang – as polar opposites, they not only balance each other out, but also complement each other. It’s my goal to be independent and creative and flexible, while still maintaining some semblance of structure and organization. And I hope to continue that into the future – I’m planning to double major in either engineering or computer science and fine arts.
I think this concept reflects within the Joyce Ivy Fellows as well – we Fellows are each so unique, yet at the same time, the ideas that we can produce when we come together are exhilarating. I can’t wait to see what the Communications team can create in the coming year!

We look forward to the next year, and hope that the Joyce Ivy Blog will play an informative and helpful role in your high school and college careers.
For more information about the Joyce Ivy Foundation, please visit http://www.joyceivyfoundation.org/


Comments