College Spotlight: Centre College




by Katie Hancock and Haley Vernadoe

Today's College Spotlight post features a college that a JIF alumna is currently attending. The JIF blog​ ​team also releases posts detailing colleges that are summer program partners, colleges that will be attending the Joyce Ivy​ ​College Admissions Symposium (JCAS)​.

Statistics 

Location: Danville, Kentucky

Acceptance Rate: 71.6%

Tuition & Fees: $49,250 for tuition, housing, and meal plan

Website: https://www.centre.edu/

Facts 

  1. In 2000, Centre became the smallest college ever told hold a national election debate. 
  2. Classes at Centre are held in spite of several federal holidays—including Martin Luther King, Jr., Presidents, Labor, Columbus, and Veterans Days. (Which may be a good or bad thing!)
  3. Approximately 85 percent of all students study abroad at least once before graduating.
  4. A portrait of Fred M. Vinson, former Chief Justice of the United States, hangs in the hallway of the Phi Delta Theta house. Members of the chapter take the portrait to the sidelines of Centre football and basketball games. He hasn't missed a game since 1953!
  5. Each year, the Norton Center, Centre's center for the arts, offers a variety of entertainment. Past shows have included ZZ Top, Yo-Yo Ma, Parsons Dance Company, Harry Connick Jr., Dolly Parton, Broadway musicals, Gregg Allman, and world-renowned symphony orchestras, to name a few. 

Haley at Centre's spring carnival.

Thoughts from a current student

Name: Haley Vernadoe
Current Year: sophomore
Major: Economics/Finance; French minor

What is your favorite part about this school? 

The opportunities Centre has granted me.  This January, I am travelling to Cuba for a month to study their current economic climate and how it has changed in recent years.

What has been your favorite class(es) and why? 

I really enjoy my French classes because my professors have been the greatest.  I've only had two different French professors in my two years at Centre because I always try to stay with one of them when I schedule my classes.  I've eaten dinner at my professors' houses alongside their families and look up to them for a lot of advice, some academic and some just general life advice.

Why did you choose this college over others? 

I chose Centre because it feels like home.  The community here is unreal; I truly enjoy being at school because the people make this so special, and not just the students.  It is so easy to get involved and to meet tons of different people, even thought the school is relatively small.


What are some tips for students who are applying to this college?

Be yourself; Centre values individuality and will want to see how the talents only you posses can have an impact on our campus and the world.

Any additional remarks?

Small, liberal arts schools aren't for everyone, but I encourage everyone to consider it just to see the possibilities.  I can say without a doubt in my mind that Centre has changed my life for the better and I would love to see the effects Centre could have on other JIF Scholars! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at haley.varnadoe@centre.edu. Go Colonels!

Comments