What's the College Experience Like?

by Marie Lachance

Marie & friends at Brown University
Hello! My name is Marie and I am currently a first-year student at Brown University, although I am originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan. It is incredibly difficult to come to terms with the fact I have almost completed my first semester of college. Throughout my entire high school career, I thought of little else than my dreams and aspirations for college, and sometimes it still feels surreal I am living those dreams out. Some aspects of college turned out fairly similarly to the way I imagined them, while other aspects of my experience have been drastically different than I expected. I recognize I am absolutely no expert on the college experience, and I still have a remaining 7/8ths of my experience still in front of me, but here are some of my thoughts regarding my experience here at Brown thus far. Hopefully they will make you excited, optimistic, and possibly a little bit nervous for your own college experience. 

  1. Just because you get into college does not mean you are in anything else. The hardest aspect of my arrival was the fact I was not at all prepared to be rejected after finally being accepted. I came in with a strong vision of myself and who I was: A strong, independent, empathetic, and driven person who was athletic, good at singing, a strong leader, and had creative ideas. One by one this list of characteristics were dismantled by being rejected from various groups. I was rejected from A Cappella, something I assumed I would be welcomed into. I was one of the slowest people at club swim practice, an activity I had been doing for the entirety of my life. I got a 68% on my first test in college, dismantling my identity as a “good student.” When I engaged in conversations about politics, global issues, and feminism, I found myself scrambling for originality, and even scared that somehow I would manage to offend someone with my rhetoric. Overall, I allowed my failures to shake my identity to its core- which in a way is the most valuable experience I have had since arriving here. Failure is not only inevitable; it is essential. Questioning aspects of your identity rather than allowing them to be assumed and living comfortably in a possibly outdated vision of yourself is potential. To truly live is to accept failure, reevaluate what matters most to you, and hone in on the aspects of yourself that you yourself have formed, not decisions others have made for you. Get off your high horse and be self critical- it allows for opportunities to grow. 
  2. Not getting into things is a part of life (even if it hasn’t been a part of your life until now)- don’t focus on failure, focus on opportunity. A continuation of above… If something doesn’t work out, one of two things will happen. Either A) you will simply move on and realize that it wasn’t as important of an opportunity as you built it up to be, allowing you to focus on things you do sincerely care about, or B) you will immediately realize how much this meant to you, and you will be pushed to work even harder to ensure it happens in the future. Either are opportunities for growth, either will form you as a person, either will be beneficial in the end. 
  3. The freshman 15 is an almost unavoidable, very real, yet not necessarily bad part of college. As someone who has struggled with body dysmorphia and an eating disorder for the majority of her life, I was genuinely more concerned about the infamous Freshman 15 than I was about the transition to college or making new friends. At the beginning, I was cautious to only eat salad and fruit and wraps and avoided the ever-convienent ice cream machine at every cost. I exercised everyday, and found myself prioritizing running over school work or even time with friends. However, I soon realized that this was simply unsustainable, and furthermore unhealthy. In college, yes, I have gained weight, but I believe I am so much more healthy than I ever was at home. Being stretched in so many different directions, being presented with so many incredible opportunities, and meeting new and fascinating people allows you to think about the life you want to live. I have made the conscious decision I was too afraid to make in high school; that living a full life means exercising when it makes me feel good, eating food that will fuel my body and my body is telling me it needs, and being unconcerned if my jeans become a little tighter. As long as you are making healthy decisions, the ice cream machine should not be your enemy, the gym shouldn’t imprison you. 
  4. Don’t dismiss anything or anyone as “uncool” or “lame”- simply, don’t think you’re above anything or anyone. The first week of school there will undoubtedly be many awkward and seemingly “lame” meet and greets and such, and you may be inclined to skip and find something “cooler” to do. Trust me, lean into the awkwardness and the lameness and try your absolute best to be open minded. Here is where you will meet your best friends, make some of your first memories, and have the most care-free fun… take advantage of it!
  5. Talk to people about why they believe the things they do. Being at Brown is undoubtedly a liberal bubble. Although it is nice to feel as though your opinions and values are shared, it sometimes become suffocating. Challenge yourself to meet and spend time with people who think differently than yourself, no matter how uncomfortable or challenging it can be. These are the people you will learn the most from, even inside the classroom. 
  6. You will make a lot of mistakes, it’s inevitable. What isn’t inevitable is that you will actually learn from them- try your absolute best to do so. The transition to college is incredibly drastic. All of a sudden you are stripped from all comforts and familiarity, and your life will have little continuity from the one you left behind. All of this means that you will make mistakes- there’s simply no getting around it. However, mistakes are only a bad thing if you don’t learn something from them. When you mess up, really challenge yourself to think about why and how, in order to ensure it doesn’t happen again. 
  7. Be conscious of your privilege, in regards to everything. I am incredibly fortunate to lead the life I do. To attend this school, to have the opportunities I am presented with, to feel comfortable with my identity. Every once in a while it is incredibly important to check your privilege and be grateful for all you have, rather than focus on what you want. 
  8. Go to your TA or office hours. Building connections and having conversations is where you will learn the most. Just do it.
  9. Don’t listen to social media telling you every aspect of your college experience should be fantastic and instagramable.  It’s just not true- there’s no way for your experience to be “perfect,” and no one else’s is either. It’s human nature to want to put up an indivisible front, but in reality it’s okay and perfectly normal to struggle when you arrive at college, for a plethora of reasons. Don’t let your friends on social media tell you otherwise! 
  10. Don’t let boys (or anyone) make decisions for you- be independent & try your best to stay away from distracting drama. This is much easier said than done, but make sure that you are truly making decisions that will best benefit yourself, and work hard to realize when you may be influenced by something else. 
  11. Get out and EXPLORE. It is so easy to stay in a comfy bubble on college hill, but no matter where you go to school, there is an outside world- go explore it! Chances are it’s cool, so go and see what makes your city great! Bike rides, runs, going out to eat, shopping- no matter what it is for, it is so important to see more of the world than what is immediately on your campus. 
Hopefully this somehow helps 😃 


Comments