Symposium Sunday: My Experience at JCAS

by Jenny Zhi

I’m so excited for the 2017 Joyce Ivy College Admissions Symposium, or JCAS, especially when considering all I learned at the 2016 JCAS. It was definitely a great experience for my high school junior self; I began the day both excited and anxious about the upcoming college application process, but I left feeling ready to take it on.
What made JCAS especially valuable for me was the amount of insight provided from the other side of the application process – admissions counselors. By that point, I had read a good number of articles written by former admissions counselors and absorbed all their tips about do’s and don’ts. While JCAS, in addition to students, parents, and teachers, was attended by admissions representatives from a dozen different institutions, followed much the same format, I found that the information was delivered in a slightly different context than what I had read. They weren’t just giving tips, but were explaining it with stories of behind-the-scenes experiences reading and reviewing college applications. Many shared information about how the admissions committees at their respective schools evaluated applications. Amherst, for example, assigns members to defend applicants to the committee, which then performs a quick vote on whether to admit the student. If more than half vote “yes,” that means an acceptance letter arriving in the mail.
Many of the workshops were similarly planned to share information from the admissions counselors’ point of view, and while I was writing my applications a couple months later, I often recalled what I learned at JCAS to consider how they would evaluate my application and how I wanted them to view it. With both sides of the story, I could proceed with presenting my story so that it is cohesive and compelling.
A word of advice: be sure to interact with all the other girls attending JCAS as well. They all have a wealth of different experiences to share (I sat next to a homeschooled girl who was a year my junior but had the strongest aspirations to conduct autism research), and in the end, it’s assuring to know that you’re all going through the same thing. It’s always fun to compare notes and stories and dreams for the future.
There will be many Joyce Ivy Fellows, myself included, attending JCAS this year. Feel free to come to us with any questions or just pop by to say hi!
Best of luck to you!

Comments