What is a consortium really like? Confessions from a student of 3 schools

By Brette Stockmaster

I am student of Haverford College. I am a full-time student. I take one class at Haverford this semester.
One of these statements must not be true?


Haverford College

No, they are all true. I take one class at Haverford. One at Bryn Mawr College. And two at the University of Pennsylvania.

Haverford is a member of the Quaker Consortium which includes the three schools where I study in addition to Swarthmore College.  Students can take classes and receive certain minors and majors throughout the four schools. When attending a small liberal arts school, this can be particularly advantageous with flexibility in both academic and social senses.
So what is it like to take classes at three schools?
On the downside, it is a lot of train, bus, and Uber rides. There can be hurdles to jump over when I am trying schedule classes, and the academic years do not perfectly align.


Bryn Mawr College
But there are many perks. I am exposed to three distinct school cultures, which challenges me to be flexible and not fall into too much of a bubble. For instance, all the instructors that I have experienced at Haverford and Bryn Mawr expect a certain level of political correctness in classroom speech. Bryn Mawr being a women’s college adds unique tradition to its culture. In contrast, my business professor in a class at Penn’s The Wharton School requested that we stay away from always being politically correct in class discussion. The small liberal arts schools differ from Penn in the emphasis on pre-professionality. With the courses at Penn that I have taken, my peers have put a large emphasis on having a corporate summer internship whereas Haverford and Bryn Mawr focus more on pathways to social justice summer internships. I have applied to both types of internships - something I do not think I would have done if I only took classes at one institution. The size of classes also varies among the schools. At times, I enjoy the small classrooms of Haverford and Bryn Mawr, and other times I prefer the large lectures and small recitations of the classes I have taken at Penn.


So a sample of my Thursday during fall semester:
University of Pennsylvania
9:30 am Walk to class
9:55 am Italian Class Bryn Mawr
11:15 am Take bus to Haverford
11:30 am Intro Economics Haverford
12:55 pm Take bus to Bryn Mawr
1:00 pm Italian Club Lunch
2:00 pm Take train to Penn
2:30 pm Walk to library
2:45 pm Study
4:10 pm Walk to bioethics class Penn
6:30 pm Day is done! (well in terms of class)

On Wednesdays, I work on group projects in a business school. On Thursdays, I laugh with the three professors of the Italian Department of Bryn Mawr over lunch. Wednesdays are unique to a university, and Thursdays are unique to a small school. For me, one day is not better than the other. l hope that with sharing my day I have conveyed the logistics of attending three schools in one day. This college experience is not for everyone; however, for those who are not sure of what type of school they would benefit from the most, a consortium can be a great choice. I feel constantly challenged in a way that I do not think would be possible without being in a consortium. I am being challenged to explore different paths for my future academically and professionally.

Comments