Joyce Ivy Talk: Wellness and Productivity


By Autumn Shelton | October 27, 2020

Welcome to a brand new series of blog posts and content about the realities of being a teenager in this insane place we call reality. For the past several months, the world has been upside down, especially for teens trying to navigate high school and college in this brand new world. The goal is by the end of every blog post you learn a little more about life and yourself.

Now to the nitty gritty, what you all came here for: wellness and productivity, basically the self-soothing mantra of 2020. Bake some banana bread. Take that virtual dance class. Frolic in a field (social distancing, of course!) and cry about the inexplicable terror you feel every time you wake up each morning. Happy thoughts. Essentially, 2020 has sparked this huge discussion about being healthy and what it really means to be productive.

I’m not here to debate the morals of being well or productive, if you are interested in that there are dozens of Youtube channels you can watch. However, I think it is more important than ever for young people to think about their health and future in a *productive* way (see what I did there?)

A caveat here before I begin my listicle, I am in no way a health expert or career counselor. I am merely reflecting on my own experiences as a recent high school graduate and giving advice on things that helped me. This is not an all encompassing list and should not be your end-all be-all to health and productivity.

First, let’s discuss health because, in my opinion, if you aren’t taking care of your body it is practically impossible for you to be productive and active in the way you want to be. Life is busy and stressful, but if we don’t prioritize our health first, our quality of life and work will start to suffer.

Some helpful tips that have helped me in the past months:

1. Drink water

I know what you all are thinking, “Wow! She really thinks she’s figured something out. I didn’t know humans need water to survive.” Yes, I know this is the most basic health advice a person can give, but be honest, do you actually drink that much water? Before March of this year, I drank at most a cup a day. I get that water basically only has the flavor of the container it is in, but it is so important for us to function at our best and thrive. What I have noticed from carrying a water bottle with me at all times is that if you have water with you, you’re more likely to drink it. So, if you can, I highly recommend investing in an easy to carry water bottle.

2. Trade out unhealthy foods with easy alternatives

via GIPHY


Perhaps I’m a hypocrite with this point, but there are some easy and *cheap* ways to eat healthier. One thing for me has been trading out regular pasta with whole grain. At my local Walmart, the box of whole grain pasta costs about the same or a little extra than the regular. From whole wheat bread to baking homemade snacks, there are a myriad of options available to make your diet more nutritious and delicious.

3. Take a walk outside so that your eyeballs won’t die from your amount of screen time

I know that you spend at least 12 hours a day staring at a brightly lit cube. How do I know this? Because this is the approximate amount I spend on my phone or computer. I’m starting to feel my retinas detach right this moment, however, there are some steps to combat this phenomenon. One, take breaks (and go to bed before a 2am Netflix binge). Two, take a short 10 minute walk every 2 hours. Go outside, breathe in some fresh air, and let your eyeballs look farther than 6 inches from your face.

Onward to Productivity!

1. You are not a robot.

Fun fact: You aren't programmed to work for 12 hours straight seven days a week until you die. Human beings need breaks, relationships, food, and more to function in a healthy way. It is completely normal to take breaks and don’t be mad at yourself if you can’t study until 4am.

via GIPHY


2. Procrastination = Fear.

This little tip has saved me hours from my perfectionistic tendencies. If you are struggling to do something, it’s usually because you’re afraid you’re going to do a bad job and fail. News flash: you might. Life is full of failure, but, fun fact, if your assignment is a blank piece of paper your teacher/professor is going to judge you a lot more than if you at least turned something in.

3. Finally, don’t work on your bed and turn off your notifications.

Shout out to my PAA at college (basically a Residential Advisor), about not working in bed so that you separate your workspace from your living space. Essentially, keep the bad vibes of stress away from your destination of relaxation. On the notifications side of things, I promise you that the Snapchat your friend sent you can wait an hour as your work. By eliminating distractions you not only can focus better on the task at hand, but you don’t have to worry about FOMO either.

That’s all I have to say for now. I wish you all the best as college application season continues to be in full swing and as midterms and finals season approaches!





Autumn Shelton is currently a freshman at Princeton University and plans to attend law school after her undergraduate career. Her favorite things include home baked chocolate chip cookies, Robert Pattinson’s Oscar-deserving performance in Twilight, books on the history of Alaska, and her rather large collection of decks of cards from various places around the country.