Senior Year Reflections


By Mackenzie Slagle
Congratulations to the Class of 2021! You have accomplished so much in a year like no other, and you should be so incredibly proud of yourselves! With my own high school graduation quickly approaching (only two weeks away!), I thought that this blog post would be a great opportunity to share my reflections on my senior year! Whether you have already graduated or are just beginning your high school journey, I hope that you can find some helpful advice in this post! :-)

It’s the ordinary moments that matter!
The day-to-day routine of high school can seem awfully tedious sometimes, and it’s way too easy to mindlessly wish the days away (has anyone else been guilty of counting down the days until break?). But here’s the truth--time flies! And it’s ultimately the simple, daily interactions with my classmates and teachers that have meant the most to me. As I’ve looked back upon my four years in high school, I’ve realized that I treasure the seemingly insignificant moments the most--the silly memes in Chemistry, the inside jokes in AP Calculus, and even the practice investment games in Government (yes, I knew about stocks BEFORE GameStop was cool ;-). I remember the life discussions as we sipped coffee on Monday mornings in AP Lit, and I smile at the times that we played Kahoot in French class and I got WAY too competitive (hey, I take my Kahoot skills very seriously). So find something to appreciate every day, and don’t let the senioritis get the best of you!

Embrace the chaos!
I will be perfectly honest--sometimes my senior year was pretty crazy. Between the college applications, end-of-the-year events, and other responsibilities, life could feel really overwhelming at times. But even though senior year can be a time of uncertainty, it is also a time of excitement! While I can guarantee that there are probably a gazillion things that you would rather do than fill out college apps (you know, like doing literally ANYTHING else), you will never be in this exact position again--at least try to enjoy it! These are your final moments in high school, so make them count!

Have an attitude of gratitude!
When you finally get to walk across that stage, don’t forget to thank those that helped you along the way! There are so many people in our lives that we can appreciate, from the janitors that clean the school long after we leave for the day to the cafeteria staff that makes sure we always have a meal. The people working behind the scenes in our lives often make a greater impact than we realize. And don’t forget to thank your teachers! They have chosen to invest in your lives throughout the past four years, and they are so excited for you too! A simple thank you can go a long way!

Let’s flip to the next chapter of your life!
Welcome this new chapter in your life! It can seem scary sometimes as you transition out of high school, especially for those of you moving away for college and navigating a completely different environment. But every phase of your life plays a unique role in shaping you into the person that you are today, and you are entering into a new season of life! So let’s celebrate as you flip to the next chapter!

Congratulations again to the Class of 2021! We’re so proud of you! Wherever life takes you, remember that you always have your Joyce Ivy family to support you! :-)




Mackenzie Slagle is a 2020 Summer Scholar from Toledo, Ohio, and she will be attending Princeton University in the fall. When she’s not participating in the theatre troupe, tennis team, or marching band, Mackenzie loves drinking iced coffee, having Jeopardy marathons, solving jigsaw puzzles, and listening to the Hamilton soundtrack on repeat.

Comments