Fellow Profile: Himani Yarlagadda, JIF '21

 

Hello awesome reader! Hope you’re having a great day.


My name is Himani, and I am a current high school senior (college applications anyone?) at Detroit Country Day Upper School. I was a Joyce Ivy Summer Scholar in 2021, and I was incredibly excited to participate in a Medical Ethics course through Harvard’s Pre-College Program as a result. I am so grateful for having found an empowering and dedicated community within the Joyce Ivy Foundation’s (virtual) walls. I am currently a Senior Fellow along with Shubhra Mishra (check out her profile too!) on the Fellow Relations team (why not check out everyone’s?). 


I am a public health enthusiast, which is why I enjoy competing in Epidemiology in HOSA and coaching Disease Detectives for my middle school’s Science Olympiad team. I am also vice-president of my school’s Model United Nations club, where we debate global issues (favorite committee to date being the World Health Organization) and eat a lot of donuts! I compete in a lot of math competitions and run one of my own called MEMO with a friend. Most importantly, I enjoy running a club and summer program called Root 4 Girls locally where I hope to boost elementary and middle school girls’ confidence in mathematics and inspire a passion to explore mathematical applications in other subjects. My favorite meeting to date was when we invited a math professor and spent the time debating the mathematically-proven optimal way to evacuate inhabitants of a city during a hurricane (hint: one-way traffic is the best kind of traffic!)


In my free time, I love to spend time with my golden retriever (see picture below), bake, play the flute, write poetry, and curl up to watch movies!

 


I’m looking forward to a wonderful year working on an even more wonderful blog with the most wonderful team of writers! I hope you enjoy this blog experience as much as I do, and I hope it provides you a sense of support, comfort, and confidence just as the Joyce Ivy Foundation has gifted me. Goodbye for now!



Comments