Fellow Profile: Lilyana Raishouni, JIF '22


Welcome reader! I hope you’re having an awesome day :) 


My name is Lilyana Raishouni and I’m a senior at Divine Child High School. Thanks to Joyce Ivy, I attended the Harvard Secondary School program in 2022 where I studied sociology and political philosophy with the most incredible group of professors and classmates. I am forever grateful for Joyce Ivy’s supportive network that has allowed me to connect and work with such an empowering group of women. This year, I am so excited to be a part of their mission through my role as a member of the Fellow Relations team. Stay tuned for a year full of fun blog posts curated by our wonderful team of writers!



I am the ultimate medical nerd with a joint interest in public policy and political science! As the president of my school’s Medical Club, I enjoy organizing annual service trips, suture labs, and blood drives as well as monthly speakers who share career advice along with novel research in their respective fields. I also lead my school’s Model United Nations chapter wherein we debate pertinent world issues (my personal favorites are the human rights of Afghan citizens and the Ethiopian humanitarian crisis). Outside of school, I work as a research assistant. Currently, I am writing a case study on Kaposi’s Sarcoma, a rare cancerous lesion and a paper discussing how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted prisoners. 



Four years ago, I founded LIFE, a non-profit organization that aims to eliminate socio-economic barriers in education. I started this project after witnessing numerous immigrant children struggle academically and socially in my Arab-American community. My experiences with LIFE have taught me the importance of leveling the educational playing field for underrepresented students, which is why I identify so strongly with the Joyce Ivy Foundation. 



In my free time, I read fiction and magical realism novels (Isabel Allende anyone?). I also love to play the piano, listen to Taylor Swift (Swifties all the way!), go for runs, and spend time with family. 



I hope that you find our blog to be a welcoming and supportive space, just as the Joyce Ivy community has been for me. Thank you so much for reading, and have a great rest of your day. Until next time! 













 

Comments