Confused about College? Let's Answer Some Questions!



College is both the time and place for YOU to be in charge of your goals, lifestyle, and future. It may be scary and confusing when you don’t know where to begin or what to expect! Genesis and Taylor are here to ask and answer the questions you may have about starting your exciting college adventure! In this article, Genesis, a current high school senior, will be interviewing Taylor, a first-year college student at Cleveland State University. She will answer questions about the application process, life at college, and give advice to you dear readers! 


Genesis: How should I present myself in my applications? 


Taylor: Great question! You want to put your best self out there and show the true and incredible you! In regards to application essays, try to write freely in order to grasp how you already appear on paper. From there, find an angle that you feel is confident and captivating for the admissions counselors to read. It is vital for this angle to present and demonstrate your humanity. It’s all in your mindset, adaptability, growth, accomplishment, and what success means to you. What scares you? What has tested you? Is there a reason why you see things differently now? Present how you overcame an adversity, change in lifestyle, or why a certain color reminds you of a life-changing event! They want you to offer everything you can to evaluate in the most holistic way possible. College admissions counselors realize that every student is complex and different. You shouldn’t worry about not finding a part of your life to include or write about in your applications. What might be normal and mundane to you may just be the most awe-inspiring thing to someone else. You got this! 


Genesis: Is it okay if I haven’t decided my major? 


Taylor: Of course! This is THE time for you to experiment, have fun, approach new opportunities, and create long-lasting connections. Just one person, teacher, class, or college event may just set you on a new path. The best thing an incoming student can do is keep an open mind. Growing up, I witnessed too many people become dissatisfied with their choice of study and/or career. It’s important to consider factors like work satisfaction and personal fulfillment when coming to college. College is not meant for you to box yourself in, rather, grow into a new version of yourself. My advice is: keep 2 to 3 major options in mind (or a combination of one major and one minor) that will grant you both work satisfaction and personal fulfillment. For me, I chose to double major in English and Economics. I love writing, reading, and analyzing works of literature. I’m also fascinated by economics and finance. I measured my skills and found that I like math, but not to the extent where numbers turn into letters. Economics includes math that I feel personally confident and fulfilled in calculating. I can’t wait to learn more about both as they are broad enough to offer me a wide range of opportunities. Try taking a random course or one you feel drawn to in your first year! Remember, you are in college to be educated on the subjects that YOU want.   


Genesis: How easy is it to make friends on a college campus?


Taylor: So far, it’s been surprisingly easy to reach out and befriend others. I’ve noticed that most students sit alone at lunch since everyone is going at their own pace. It is what it is! Nevertheless, it makes for a great opportunity to see a fellow classmate and invite them to sit with you (or ask to sit with them)! I’d say the first 3 weeks of every semester are the easiest to meet and make new friends. Why? Everyone is adjusting to their schedule and classmates. Take advantage of the awkward atmosphere and put yourself out there. People will reciprocate! However, like all long-term relationships, making a true friend takes time. Campus is a big place. You will soon feel comfortable at campus, with people in your classes, and in your everyday activities. 


Example: My roommate put this poster on our dorm door for passing students to share their social media info! This is how we connected with people on our floor!


Genesis: How do I look for external work experience? 


Taylor: College provides the great advantage of offering incredible support and career services. I recommend meeting with your college success coach/advisor to help you find some work experience! Another great place is LinkedIn and Handshake (both are free!). Before signing up, I had no idea there was a place to see others’ work experiences and postings of internships and job opportunities. It’s a great way to network and meet your college upperclassmen and alum. It also never hurts to reach out and see how you can obtain similar opportunities! Finally, I always recommend joining 1-2 clubs each semester. Internal work experience within your college campus can be just as important! Clubs are another great way to demonstrate your knowledge of certain subjects, leadership, and experience. It also shows how involved you are on campus and increases your connections with others. 

Genesis: What’s your meal plan like? Do you recommend having one?


Taylor: Depending on your college, the choice may not be up to you. For example, the students living on my college campus are required to select a meal plan each semester. Many colleges also have different meal plans for first-year students. It’s important to select the best one for you. My meal plan is the Weekly 15. I have 15 meals each week from the dining hall. That is equivalent to 2 meals a day plus an extra one if I need it. As soon as you register for classes and receive your schedule, start to create your own college lifestyle. Organize the times and places to eat, sleep, exercise, study, and clean outside of classes. It’s helpful to bring a planner or whiteboard to keep track of everything! It can be too easy to neglect just one aspect of your health. So far, my college dining hall has been amazing!! There are always plenty of options, including a salad, fruit, and allergy free bar. It’s only been the fourth week but I already make sure to maximize my time there. All universities make sure to put healthy and yummy foods out for their students. I am sure you will love your college’s dining food too! 



Genesis: What if I’m not a big partier but I still want to be social and have fun. Should I still go out?


Taylor: Honestly, it can feel pretty weird and lonely being a college freshman and having no plans for a Friday night. Trust me, this feeling is totally normal! In college and for every part of your life, it is only you who decides what is fun and exciting for YOU. My idea of a fun Saturday night includes chatting with my roommates and eating popcorn while watching a classic Disney movie. Another person might be dancing their heart out to an ABBA’s Disco Night party in a live music concert hall. I tried the latter option and found it wasn’t really my scene. And that is 100% okay! It’s good to try new things and form an opinion about them! Trust me, the sooner you start having fun in your own way, you will feel better and your authentic self will shine. The right people will gravitate your way and you will all have fun together!


Genesis: How and when should I purchase my textbooks and supplies?


Taylor: I strongly encourage you to download your textbooks for free! I definitely recommend searching for your college textbooks on any of the following websites: Archive.Org, Project Gutenberg, Library Genesis, OpenStax, Internet Archive, Open Textbook Library, ScholarWorks, Digital Book Index, PDF Grab, Free Book Spot, The Wayback Machine, the Assayer, IntechOpen, Online Mathematics Textbooks, and OpenEd. And check your college campus library or public library! Whew! That’s quite a list! One textbook can range from $30-200 each semester. Not to get your hopes up too high, but some textbooks will not be free. Sometimes, books/homework activities are already included in your tuition bill (such as Pearson Products). Your university will try to make textbooks more affordable but not 100% free. If they are included in your tuition, all you have to worry about is registering your account. Professors make sure to provide directions in order for you to access both your homework and textbook. If you cannot find a free version of your textbook or it’s not an included item on your tuition bill, wait until the first week of classes. Professors are the best photocopiers on the planet. They want you to access all required class materials and will either grant you a free trial access code to give you more time or provide the materials for free.


Genesis: How do you find information about campus events, activities, or clubs?


Taylor: Information is everywhere! It’s great to see each month’s events and activities on nearby bulletin boards. Every college should have a couple of boards in each building to keep students up to date on campus happenings. It’s also easy to look up your campus clubs that are welcoming new members every semester! Take time to reach out to one of the club presidents or fill out a new member application form. Most college events take place in the general college area or student atrium. Perhaps walk past every so often to see if there’s any fun you can partake in!



Genesis: What should I do in my first week of college?


Taylor: Take some time to get a feel for campus! Print or download a copy of your class times to walk out and have a feel for your schedule. It’s also great to attend the new student orientation and other events your college is putting on for incoming first-years! That way, you get the opportunity to meet and connect with others who are in the same class as you. Additionally, take some time getting to know your roommates or decorating/organizing your dorm! 



Genesis: How do you meet your roommates before college?


Taylor: Once you receive your roommate assignment, it’s always a good idea to reach out to them via school email address. Your college should have included it in your rooming assignment. I recommend text-messaging (not snapchat or instagram) as it’s much easier for communication purposes. Most students will respond to their school email. However, the week before college is always stressful. If they don’t respond back before move-in day, count on seeing them in the dorm! Sooner or later, you both can do something fun and get to know one another. After I moved in, my roommate and I went out to Starbucks and had fun exploring campus!

Genesis: How do you set boundaries with your roommates?


Taylor: The best way to set boundaries with your roommates is to sign a roommate agreement form. Most, if not all, college housing departments expect this from their residents. For my 2 roommates and I, we had to login to a housing portal and each contribute to our agreement. We also developed a schedule to keep the living area clean. Placed on our fridge is a small whiteboard that details each person’s cleaning responsibilities for the week (washing dishes, sweeping, taking out the trash, cleaning the floor, and tidying up the space). It holds each of us accountable and is a great way to set and keep boundaries. Another way to set boundaries is to label your personal items. If you only want to use your expensive mini-fridge, make sure to put it in a place near your items or label it as yours. Keep your items together and separate. This will help establish your boundaries and personal space.


Genesis: What should I bring to my classes?


Taylor: Always use or bring what is useful for you. If you like writing things down on paper, make sure to bring a light notebook and a few pens/pencils. If you like typing notes, be sure to bring a reliable laptop/chromebook/computer and its charger. Other than that, you don’t really need to print out the syllabus or slides presentations unless your professor requires it for class. Backpacks are still needed for college students! Trust me, no one is ever too cool for a backpack. Everyone on campus wears one, and if not, they wear the cuter option: tote bags! 


Genesis: What should I have with me at all times?


Taylor: Your school ID, state-issued ID (paper or card), charger, and especially your cell phone, pepper spray, flashlight, and any other self-defense tools. Considering the fact that you’re in a new environment, it’s vital to have these things on your person to identify, help, and defend yourself.


Genesis: How are college classes different from high school classes?


Taylor: Different, but in a good way! For each of my classes, the professors expect you to have done the pre-homework. Pre-homework includes registering for the textbook, being able to access your homework and textbook, and staying on track with the syllabus. To help prepare you for class, it’s great to read and review the materials outlined in the syllabus. Take notes, learn the terminology, and you should be good to go! In class, professors typically add information to their slide presentations or require your participation. Taking notes in and outside of class can help your understanding of the subject. Each class will vary. Unlike high school, your professors will all have different purposes for their class. One may just review the information and ask if anyone has any questions. Another might assign a 15 minute group activity and have you all present near the end of class. My economics professor makes presentations and then cold-calls the class to test our understanding. It all depends! Once you learn what each of your classes are like and what your professors’ expectations are, you can prepare and learn differently in each one! You may very well develop different study habits than when you were in high school. Be open to new styles of teaching and studying!



Genesis: Do you have any advice for procrastinating college homework?


Taylor: Actually, I do! Coming from a self-diagnosed procrastinator, my advice is to surround yourself with people who expect to meet their goals and are following through with it. Start studying in the library (doesn’t have to be with anyone) or in a place that promotes quiet study. Begin working out in a free group fitness class (see if your college recreation center offers them) or have a gym buddy to workout with. It’s too easy to procrastinate in your own space. Holding yourself accountable and feeling seen in your surroundings can help you accomplish your tasks. 

Genesis: What do you dislike about your college experience?


Taylor: As a young woman, I dislike walking home to my dorm at night. I live in Cleveland which is a whole new environment. I have only ever lived in the suburbs, so city life is quite different. I make sure to carry self-defense tools with me and to always be aware of my surroundings. I feel safer knowing my college has safety text-messaging, blue lights, and campus police. Be sure you are aware of your college’s safety systems and know how to utilize them!



Genesis: What is something you really wish someone would have told you about college?


Taylor: There is a LOT of walking! I was not expecting to walk to classes held in Timbuktu and back. Make sure to bring a refillable water bottle and hydrate regularly! 


Genesis: When I start to feel homesick, what should I do?


Taylor: I totally understand this feeling-everyone gets homesick! The first week is hard because it feels surreal. It feels a bit like moving into a hotel room or a camp cabin. You realize this is going to be your new environment but the feeling hasn’t registered with you yet. You miss what’s familiar. I recommend decorating. It can go a long way! When I first moved in, I noticed how empty my walls were. Back home, I would always have my walls covered with pictures and posters. My school granted me free access to the printers so I went ahead and decorated for fall! I printed all my favorite scary movie posters, fall aesthetic photos, and funny halloween memes. It made the area more fun and lively! It also works as a great conversation starter for anyone who visits. Next, I decorated my room and made sure it was comfortable and cozy. I have some hanging lights and a $5 headboard that my mom bought on Facebook Marketplace (Goodwill, Facebook Marketplace, and any outlet or thrift stores are perfect places to find the best items and decorations!). One last thing that makes me feel better is doing some laundry. Having clean and warm clothes, sheets, and blankets that smell like home can be comforting. Remember, this place is YOUR new environment. It’s a great way to try new things, decorate differently, and get comfortable with living on your own! 


Genesis: What was something you didn’t expect in your first week of college?


Taylor: That each college campus is different and totally unique. It’s always fun to explore campus and learn more about your college’s history! I am still blown away at how much I experienced in my first week! For example, I met Lieutenant Commander Cary Rickoff, the #5 Lead Solo of the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels. The back of my head was included in the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels Instagram. I explored Cleveland’s magnificent Trinity Cathedral, found a really fancy Heinin’s Store, walked into the Playhouse Square Theater District (which is right on my campus!), and was invited to attend the Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards with my honors college cohort. Each week is always an exciting adventure and it all begins the day you walk onto campus! You will have a blast!


~Blue Angels Instagram Post

~Trinity Cathedral

~Fancy Heinens

~Playhouse Square

~Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards


Special thanks to Genesis Bond Hollingsworth (JIF' 21) and Taylor Lucas (JIF '21), two incredible members of the Fellow Relations Team, for putting together this comprehensive Q & A on everything you need to know about college!


Comments