What I Wish I Knew Before my Freshman Year of College


By: Annelise Klein



Going to college looks different for everyone. Yet as a young woman, a North Dakotan, a type 1 diabetic, and a student at Brown, these are some of the things I have learned through my experience during my freshman year of college, and tips that may help as you face these challenges.


  • No one is watching you.
Coming into orientation, I was extremely nervous about what others thought of me and making the right impression. However, I found the stress turned out to be unnecessary at times— as other freshmen were just as worried. People are often too focused on themselves to be judging other people. Try to not become absorbed in what other people think; be your authentic self.


  • It may take longer than you think to adjust.
I knew college was going to be an adjustment even with preparation like the summer program I participated in through Joyce Ivy. However, I did not realize how much of a change college is despite the amount you may prepare for it. While AP classes, friends, and the summer program helped me begin to prepare for college, nothing can truly fully prepare first-year students for this change.


  • Friends change and that’s okay.
While you will meet cool people during orientation week, into the first month, and even beyond into the first year, your friends are going to shift and change. I have realized a lot of friends are made based on proximity: someone in your orientation group, a person who lives in your dorm, what classes you have together, etc. However, it is okay if these friends do not always last. Friendships can be seen as seasons, they come and go depending on the time.


  • Being homesick is normal.
Despite growing up going to summer camp, being involved in school trips, and participating in the 3 week Summer Scholar Program, I was still extremely homesick this first year of college. While I knew I would be 2,000 miles away from home and would not see my family for 4 months, nothing would fully prepare me for how difficult it is to be away from family and home. Events like parents' weekend and breaks like Thanksgiving were hard as I was unable to see my family. But, I wasn’t the only one, and friends’ families were welcoming to me. Yet, it’s normal to feel this homesickness, and joining communities like clubs, friend groups, and academic societies can help you get through this time.


  • Go easy on yourself.
College in general is a huge life adjustment. When attending college, it can be difficult to change your mindset from high school. The need to constantly be busy, head clubs, participate in everything, have a job, etc., stays with you in the transition to college. However, it’s not necessary to fill every minute of your day. Burnout is real and so are issues like imposter syndrome. Remember to take care of yourself.


  • There are support systems in place and other students who feel isolated.
Geographic isolation is a real thing. Coming to school out East, I was the only person from my state in my entire class. While I felt proud of representing North Dakota and the Midwest, I quickly realized how alone I was from my region. It’s normal to be overwhelmed by that realization, but understand that are others like you. Counseling services and clubs can help with that transition, finding trusted adults and peers who can empathize is essential.


  • You’ll likely get sick.
The freshman flu is a real thing. Going from living at home to a close-quarters dorm with random people from across the world means you’ll be exposed to new germs. This combined with the stress and new routine wears down an individual’s health. Practicing healthy habits like drinking enough water, balanced eating, mindfulness, going on walks, working out, and taking vitamins may help limit the impact on your body.


  • Don’t take everything so seriously.
You worked hard to get to where you are at. You are deserving and intelligent. You are enough as you are and where you are. It’s okay to have a social life in college and not fully focus on academics. Work hard and reward yourself. Don’t be afraid to have fun.


  • College is harder than high school.
Coming from a public high school in the Midwest to an Ivy League Institution was a bit of a shock culturally, socially, and academically. Over half of my peers went to a private school which means they had access to more resources than I did. In addition, the workload and overall schedule of college (reading material in preparation for class, having so much free time, learning time management, researching papers on your own, etc.) vary immensely from my experience in high school. Yet, I’ve learned there are so many resources from professional advisors and office hours to friends and family, that students should take advantage of. In high school, as a “gifted” student, I was expected to know how to succeed academically without asking for help. Yet in college, it is normal to attend office hours, talk with TAs, and receive support on work. This shift in pride is difficult to overcome but necessary for success.


  • You will find your people with time.
As I mentioned earlier, friends shift throughout your life, and that is no different in college. There’s an expectation that you are going to meet the most amazing people and your absolute best friends in college, but that comes with time. You do not need to feel too stressed or concerned if you may be struggling to find a good group of friends. While it’s annoying, good things take time.
 

Comments